Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1999 Honda CR-V EX AWD 5 Speed M/T
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 99 crv EX 5 Speed manual with AWD that has 201,000 miles has recently decided to turn on the ABS light while I was driving on the highway in the rain. The light would be on whenever I started the car, I have the Honda service manual and when I read the abs codes I got codes 15 (rear right wheel speed sensor short to ground), 16 (Rear Right Wheel speed sensor/pulser gear chipped or electrical noise), 54(ABS main relay stuck off) and code 61(Ignition Voltage, Low voltage/High Voltage). I cleared the codes and drove it around some more the next day since these cars are notorious for randomly triggering abs lights and srs lights. After about 10 miles the light was back, but this time only with codes 15 and 16. I left it alone this time and after about a week the light went out by itself. A few days after the light went out I noticed a weird grinding that you could intermittently feel at the brake pedal. It would randomly happen when you stopped. After this happened 2 times I realized the ABS was turning on when NONE of the wheels were locked. It only happens when I'm stopping and since I can just pull the abs relay and all is well I'm thinking of just throwing a wheel speed sensor at it. I inspected the pulser and from what I could see visually it looked fine. I really don't want to track down an intermittent abs wire harness problem as the abs is not a nesesary system and I don't have hours to go through the harness.

Thanks for reading all this, have a great day.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
I really don't want to track down an intermittent abs wire harness problem as the abs is not a necessary system and I don't have hours to go through the harness.
Chances are that the issue is in that RR wheel sensor. Either the wires are rubbing or a connector is damaged from road debris.

It's worth a look....K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) :giggle: 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree about keeping it simple. I know just shotgunning parts is a very bad and expensive way of fixing a problem, but this isn't a vital system like the fuel injection system or A/C so I'm not too concerned about just having to disable the abs if this cheap $35 part doesn't solve my issues. Is getting the sensor from rock auto a good idea or should I look for an oem honda sensor. I think these are just fancy magnets so I'm pretty sure it's not something that can be easily messed up by the cheap Chinese companies during manufacturing.

Registered
2007 CRV
When I replaced my right front wheel bearing, I destroyed the ABS sensor.
Could not get it out for nothing. Could not use heat cause it was plastic.
Tried tapping it from the back side when the CV axle was out.
It broken apart. Finally got it out in pieces.
Took a drill bit to use by hand to clean out the hole.
Used anti-seize to keep it from rusting up again.
Bought The ABS sensors (both front) from Amazon.
Under thirty dollars for the both of them and they were for the Japan built vehicles.
Usually near a $100 dollars for just one. I went cheap cause no choice due to budget restrictions.
For a week, it has been working. No problem. Keeping finger's cross.
New York State has inspection which require warning lights to be out.
They hook up computer and check everything (emissions).
Any lights and fail.

If I was you then I would be thinking
the sensor or the wheel bearing or (if you have) a tone ring
The sensor should have enough wiring to cover that
which is exposed to the elements in the wheel well

Note: Chasing the wires for the ABS might be a good idea even if it isn't a
priority circuit for the functioning of the vehicle. Why? If that wire frayed or
was chewed or whatever then the wires next to it may be next.
Then if those wires are important to the functioning of the vehicle ....
But, not up to me.

Registered
Is getting the sensor from rock auto a good idea or should I look for an oem honda sensor.
Twice I've bought sensors from Rock Auto with no issues. On one of them, I broke the sensor wire while doing the rear struts. (Wire slipped off where I had it tucked and got caught when I was pulling out the old strut.)

For two other sensors, I built up two new front knuckles for the TSX, and the original sensors were rusted into the old knuckles. One was already throwing an error, but I sometimes wondered if a previous owner took it to a shop who put the bearing in the hub backwards.

Regardless, the connectors for the sensors are up inside the body, so if the sensor itself is bad, or the wiring to the sensor is nicked or corroded, the new sensor's wiring will take care of both. As old as the CR-V is, chances are the sensor may be rusted in place. It may take a little creativity to remove it.

Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
I would check the contrast ring on the CV shaft again. Sometimes, they'll crack in one spot, and it's hard to see, but the contrast ring will then be able to rotate around the CV joint, giving you errors, and making the computer think that wheel has locked up.

I'd also look for mechanical damage on the sensor wiring. That wire will just follow the trailing arm forward, and then go across the the center of the floor, above the prop shaft. You should be inspecting the whole area at every oil change anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I've ordered the new sensor. The sensor doesn't look too bad to remove but you never know, it may still be stuck. This car is a little rusty so this should be interesting, but I think if worst comes to worst I'll just melt the sensor out or drill it since I'm changing my wheel bearings and axles soon anyways. The sensor I bought does come with a harness so this shouldn't be too big of a project. I'm also going to look at the whole abs harness for any visual damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts