Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

My CR-V had trouble starting two times this week. (The starter worked, the engine sounded like it was out of gas. It was not out of gas.) The problem escalated quickly on Friday, when it seemed like it was about to die in traffic, (stepping on gas from a standstill) for the latter half of the day. Then at the gas station, it wouldn't start. I pushed it out of the way and tried again, and it did restart.

So yesterday I changed the distributor cap and plugs and did what I could to familiarize myself with the engine. I also put some more tension on the throttle cable, hoping that something simple would fix the problem. While I was under the hood I tried to find various parts on the throttle body, and look around the engine in general.

Today I did the same thing, except I left the rear hatch window open after I got my gloves out of the back, and only noticed about 5 hours later. I shut the window and drove to the store when the check engine light came on. The code the the car is spitting out is: P0006 Fuel Shutoff Valve "A" Control Circuit Low

So there could be a lot of things wrong with this car unfortunately.

I wonder where to start. As soon as I get paid I'm going to go buy a funnel and do what I can with the coolant system. Maybe flush it, try to get the air out? The reservoir certainly looks gunky, which has me worrying. Much like a hypochondriac, I am certain that everything I read about is the cause.

(As a side note. The car was purchased second hand, and it turns out that one of the screws that holds on the distributor cap is stuck in the housing. I did what I could with a channel lock to get it out, but could not. I even removed the housing, which might have messed up the timing, I am not sure. Anyway, the distributor cap is currently held on with two screws and one piece of wire. If I knew a better way to get that screw out, I would get it out.)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
That generation of CRVs had several problems that sound similar to yours.
Check Main Relay (feeds power to the fuel pump) and the electrical connector at gas tank that feeds the fuel pump. When you find it, unplug it and replug it several time to make sure it is getting good contack.
Spark plug wires. (in a dark area and with the engine running, mist water on the spark plug wires from the dist to the plugs.
You will be looking for arcing.
If the CRV is hard to start , esp when cold, a weak ignition coil is one of the problems. (you can check it with an ohmmeter, look it up)
If it dies after it is up to operation temp, it can be a failing igniter (takes the place of points) which is in the distributor.
Two screws in the cap will probably be fine. Liquid wrench, etc and an easy out may work for you.
Read through this link for ignition problems: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1
Learn how to reset the ignition properly. Use youtube.

A lot of strange things happen to Hondas with low voltage. Make sure the battery terminals and clean and secure. Same with the grounding straps.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The auto shop replaced the engine temperature sensor, which they claimed was the problem.

Still, there was a lot of ragged idle after the work was done, and it felt like I ought to do some more work to improve it.

I took off the intake hose on the throttle body and sprayed and cleaned the inside to the best of my ability. I would have take the throttle body completely off, but i had some trouble getting hoses off.

I also cleaned the IAC valve, however the check engine light came on again, so i went ahead and replaced it.

I will have to see if the ragged idle at hot temperatures will go away.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Check the ignition timing, for sure.
Hopefully you are using the NGK 4291 ZFR6F-11 V-Power Plug. Low cost plug and seems to work the best on your yr CRV.
Bosch ones seem to cause problems on your yr CRV.
Hopefully you changed the rotor also.
Also check those spark plug wires in a dark area, like I suggested earlier
Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts