Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just aquired a 1999 CRV with 80K miles on it.. I do a lot of stuff of my own, but i feel that a Honda Dealer would be a better fit for this type of work.

Looking to see what you all recommend the cost should be for Honda Dealer:
-Valve Adjustment and seal replacement. (head gasket and plug gaskets)
-Timing belt and tensioner pulley.
-Water pump. (if needed; anyone thing i should do this while theyre down there?)
-Any other recommendations?

Ive already recently done: (myself)
-spark plugs.
-trans fluid drain refill x2 (got two more left)
-oil + filter change etc.
-air filter + cabin air.
-New Muffler.
-etc...

What should this job run me?
-Also, anybody in the Buffalo, NY area with a recommended dealership to go to? Looks like the previous owner always went to Lia Honda, but my brother in law said not to trust them?

Thanks! Any helpful advice is appreciated.

100_2259.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on how mechanically confident you are. Judging by its age voiding warranty isnt an issue. I have tried all of what you have mentioned and been successful first time with some of them and stuffed up others, however learned valuable lessons from it. Use whatever manuals you can for your model of car. Be sure to turn the engine COUNTER-CLOCKWISE when adjusting the valve clearances. This was a BIG lesson learned from me recently which i am in the process of fixing. The timing belt tensioner only likes rotating in one direction, so if you go the wrong way the belt could jump teeth when you go to start it. This can lead to valve damage due to the engine being out of time. Im praying mine hasnt :S
Removing the timing cover and getting to the belt is relatively easy, but that is as far as i have got unfortunately and being my first timing belt replacement, i cant really offer any more advice until i actually do it.
Hope that helped a little.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'd recommend going to the dealer and see what they say it costs.
I'd also look at finding an independent shop to get an estimate from as well.
Your list is pretty complete, I'd have 'em do the H2O pump as a matter of course since the labor is what costs and, like you say, they'll already be 'in there'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts