Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the Honda scene as I just purchased my 1999 CR-V from the original owner...but anyway, although it runs and drives good now, it has 327K miles on it so I was wondering, can you swap a different engine into these without much modifications? mine is a 5 speed manual...was thinking maybe a K20/K24 VTEC but wasn't sure if they would bolt up or not (found 2 low mileage examples of those engines near me that are really cheap)...if you can, what engines would you all recommend? Also, if none will swap into it, about how much (estimate) would it cost to rebuild the B20Z2 that is currently in it? Ideally I would like a little more power.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The K series engines would not easily fit, and if I remember correctly they rotate in the opposite direction that the B20 does.

The easiest swap would be another B20 engine from a 1999-2001 CR-V. The 1997-1998 B20s have less power.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "build up"?

Significantly increase horsepower? Only if you add a turbo or supercharger.

If you want a lot more power have you considered an Acura RDX?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't really want crazy horsepower, just a little more than what it has stock...don't have a lot of cash so can't afford to buy an Acura RDX (though that would be sweet)...I bought it off the original owner for $1,200...it doesn't need rebuilt as it runs and drives great now, previous owner took really good care of it but because of the miles on it, I just kinda want it rebuilt (327K miles is a lot). The AWD is what sold me on this one since my budget when I bought it was only $1,300 (looked at a lot of junk before coming across this one)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'll defer to other members, as other than the normal maintenance things to keep it running efficiently, I know of no way to drastically increase the horsepower on a B20 without adding a turbo or supercharger.

Also, if you are able to increase the horsepower the automatic transmission is going to be the next bottleneck, as the increased horsepower might break it.
If you had a 5 speed manual transmission model it might handle a power increase better than the automatic.
Which brings us to the RT4WD system in the CR-V, and again not being able to handle a lot more power than what the stock engine puts out without some sort of modification (welding the clutch packs so they're always engaged?)

But as a fun car for weekends it might be worth it, but I don't think it would be a daily driver.
But what do I know? I'm old and love my CR-V just the way it is. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts