Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
184478 the problem is I was driving up the street all of a sudden it shut off will not start had to push it home acts like no spark but it does have spark..point me in the right direction please anymore???

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
391 Posts
Are you out of gas? I seen lots of people think their car was broken when they just ran it out of gas.

Did you recently change fuel brands? Sometimes if the fuel filter is old, suddenly putting a new brand of gas in can make it clog up and then the engine gets no fuel.

Did you check your fuses? The ignition coil has its own fuse. There's also a fuse and a relay for the fuel pump and the PCM.

Are you trying to start it in park or neutral (or with the clutch depressed if it's a manual)? The car won't start unless it's out of gear or has the clutch pressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I've recently change fuels checked all fuses double check everything its getting fuel I love my Honda it's been a great car for me these last 15 years I want to reset the brain 🧠 and see if she will fire up thinking something is wrong in the distributor,if anything I will buy another one and use this one for parts on another 1also I recently upgraded my stereo system you guys and gals like?????

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
391 Posts
You said it's getting spark, right? If it's getting spark, the distributor is not your problem.

How do you know it's getting fuel? Is it just the smell, or did you try pouring a little bit of fuel into the intake and find no changes in behavior?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
How do you know it has spark, did you test it?

How do you know it has enough fuel pressure? A full tank of gas and some coming out when you open the line doesnt count as enough fuel pressure.

Grab a can of starting fluid, spray a little as see if it will start up for a second. That will tell you it's a fuel problem.

How long ago was the timing belt replaced?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So ladies and gentlemen Will a blown head gasket stop me from starting my Honda CR-V 1st Gen ,how do I know it's blown??? I have antifreeze in the top of my spark plugs cylinders?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
So ladies and gentlemen Will a blown head gasket stop me from starting my Honda CR-V 1st Gen ,how do I know it's blown??? I have antifreeze in the top of my spark plugs cylinders?????
I have driven a car with a blown head gasket. Started and ran fine. It would just over heat. So I guess it depends on how bad the gasket is. If you have antifreeze in your spark plug cylinders, then that gasket is pretty tore up, and it would make sense that it won't start.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
184478 the problem is I was driving up the street all of a sudden it shut off will not start had to push it home acts like no spark but it does have spark..point me in the right direction please anymore???
Message for you and five others in this thread: Please go to your Account Settings/Main Page and fill in the spaces for your location (city, state, country, etc.) and vehicle (year, trim level, engine, trans, etc.) and save. Then your information will display in your Avatar like you can see it in mine (hover over my flag and see my location info). Otherwise we have to ask the same questions over and over to help you, which gets annoying after about 50,000 times. We also then have to assume that you are fugitives, hiding from your ex, the IRS, the INS, or the long arm of the law. Just kidding. :oops:

Reactions: Lochinvar

·
Registered
'99 C-RV EX
17 Posts
Check that the exhaust didn't get plugged by an old muffler or catalytic converter falling apart inside.
-or-
Also check the ignition harness that attaches to the bottom of the lock cylinder. Our '99 was about the same mileage when it started quitting at random times while driving. It was about a $65 part from NAPA and took 15 minutes to change. No problems since (234,000 miles now). You can get them from a lot of suppliers. Part number is 35130S10306

1 - 17 of 17 Posts