Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
The shifter operates the transmission mechanically and electronically. To swap the tranny, you'd need to switch the tranny, PCM, shifter, engine compartment wiring harness, dash wiring harness, and instrument cluster. It would be a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Technically the transmission is the same, but the change in the shifter linkage caused minor changes and compatibility issues everywhere. The change from 7 shifter stops to 6 mean the shifter and transmission have a different amount of cable travel, so they have to match. The range position switch is also on the shift linkage, so it shares the changed linkage travel. There's also a wire from the range position to the PCM switch that is no longer present in 99+ because there's no D3 position, two new wires from the shifter to the PCM because of the O/D button, and the instrument cluster and wiring to it are different because of the chance is the AT indicators.

I looked up all this stuff before buying my car because I preferred the 97-98 shifting, but found it would be too much work to swap them if I got a 99.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts