Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda CRV 4wd LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 1999 CRV vibrates/ thumps only when accelerating. So driving up hills is a problem and has to be done at a slower speed. It really doesn’t like turning while going uphill resulting in a clunking noise like a joint is out of place. It definitely feels like a front end problem. Several mechanics have been unable to solve this problem. I hope to hear of some ideas in this forum. I’m not ready to give up on this great car that has been with me to many beautiful mountains, deserts, beaches etc..

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
Hi. My 1999 CRV vibrates/ thumps only when accelerating. So driving up hills is a problem and has to be done at a slower speed. It really doesn’t like turning while going uphill resulting in a clunking noise like a joint is out of place. It definitely feels like a front end problem. Several mechanics have been unable to solve this problem. I hope to hear of some ideas in this forum. I’m not ready to give up on this great car that has been with me to many beautiful mountains, deserts, beaches etc..
Welcome to the forum.
You didn't mention if your car is FWD or 4WD. Even though it feels like a front end problem it's possible it's an issue with the rear diff, if you have one, especially when you mention "doesn't like turning".
If you post your details, trim and drivetrain, it might help someone figure this out.
Lots of Gen1 owners here, hopefully they'll have some input.
(If you put your vehicle details in your profile it saves typing them again. Not required, but useful)

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,964 Posts
A loose or broken motor mount can cause a thump almost every time the accelerator is depressed.
Faulty sway bar links can cause a thump when going over bumps or pot holes.
Bad wheel bearings can cause almost all sorts of noises.
CV axles with bad counter weights can cause vibration.
Bad strut mounts and bearings can make quite a noise.

Hmm, mechanics that were actually there with the vehicle couldn't figure it out??
How are we suppose to do so when on the internet with no way to see what is wrong??

·
Registered
1999 Honda CRV 4wd LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
You didn't mention if your car is FWD or 4WD. Even though it feels like a front end problem it's possible it's an issue with the rear diff, if you have one, especially when you mention "doesn't like turning".
If you post your details, trim and drivetrain, it might help someone figure this out.
Lots of Gen1 owners here, hopefully they'll have some input.
(If you put your vehicle details in your profile it saves typing them again. Not required, but useful)
Thanks for the tips for the new guy. 4wd LX

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,836 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,836 Posts
Never as far as I can recall.
Besides being a normal maintenance requirement, many here suggest replacing the rear diff. fluid with Genuine HONDA fluid, as this may help your "clunking noise while turning". It is easy to do, not expensive and just might help you. Worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.