Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,I've been having a no spark problem with a 1999 crv I just bought not running. The timing belt was broke. I replaced it, but now I'm not getting any spark. I replace the whole distributor, cap, and the rotor. Still nothing. My. Battery is reading right at 11.8, and it stays about the same when I put a load on it. Then when I put my meter on my positive side of my ignition coil it only reads.10.4. The when I start to turn the motor over it drops down to 9.3. What could be causing this? I think this is why I'm not getting spark.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
guys,I've been having a no spark problem with a 1999 crv I just bought not running. The timing belt was broke. I replaced it, but now I'm not getting any spark. I replace the whole distributor, cap, and the rotor. Still nothing. My. Battery is reading right at 11.8, and it stays about the same when I put a load on it. Then when I put my meter on my positive side of my ignition coil it only reads.10.4. The when I start to turn the motor over it drops down to 9.3. What could be causing this? I think this is why I'm not getting spark.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading through that again it looks like my main relay is bad, I was using a cheap test light before, so it was still lighting up even with only 9 volts. Is the main relay behind the glove box on the right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since when is 11.8v enough to start a car? Put a good charge on it before you do any diagnostics. Also you said you put on a new distributor. Did it come with a new Ignition Control Module (ICM)? This little thing is so touchy, we now keep a spare one ( ebay, $11) in the glove box. I can tell you, our “test” showed spark at the coil- so it meant this time, the ICM was still good (allowing spark to come thru). So although there’s spark at the coil- we needed BETTER spark at the coil. ( Also better test equipment might have told us that). The coil was under lifetime warranty so it was an easy choice to replace it, and solved our no-start which had begun after solving a timing issue- which turned out to be caused by the rotor cap actually falling apart! Somehow in replacing that rotor cap, we ruined our coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree it is a little low but my bigger issue is the voltage drop I'm getting. Would the main relay cause that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure I've figured out my problem. My ecu is fried. It melted a spot in it causing a bunch of gunk in one of my plugs and a burnt component on my card

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got her running! The ecu was fried, and my firing order was messed up. She sounds great too. Now I have to figure out this clunking noise and jerk I get when I tried to move it at low speeds. Didn't happen consistently, I notice my whole motor move when it did it. I know my lower driver side motor mount is shot, could this be the cause or something else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts