Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, bought my 1999 5spd CRV 18 months ago and just did a pile of work to the rear end, nearly whole new suspension lol. I figure I should swap out the fluid in the diff as I've no idea the last time it was done and to be honest, the AWD almost seems like it waits a heartbeat to kick in.

I read somewhere that a person in my situation should drain the old fluid, then fill with CVT fluid, do some slow and tight turns in the parking lot, then drain the CVT fluid and fill with Dual Pump II.

My questions are this:
1) Does that sound fine to you lot?
and
2) This takes 1.1 bottles of DPII (???) but can I use one full one than add the 0.1 of CVT to save a couple bucks?

I know people wreck things saving small dollars but money is tight and I've a lot to do to this so a little savings here and there are appreciated and could add up.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I don't know where you heard about putting CVT fluid in an early CR-V rear differential, but I think that is a bad idea. And definitely don't mix the two fluids.

First remove the fill bolt, then remove the drain bolt.
Drain the old fluid out, replace the drain bolt using a new crush washer, and fill with Dual Pump Fluid II.
Then replace the fill bolt, also using a new crush washer.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Thanks! Can't remember where I saw that, probably lurking on some forum site.
That was the recommended rear diffy fluid back in 1999.
You could even use Honda ATF or Dextron III as a temp fluid. Adding a little of either to top off the DPII fluid shouldn't hurt anything. Still, if the rear diffy isn't making noise just drain and fill (take fill bolt out first to ensure you have a place to pump the new fluid in), replace bolts and use a new crush washer, if you have one, and then finish up with doing around 8 slow almost wheel lock turns in each direction and then repeat it. This is supposed to 'burnish' the clutches.
If you use the old crush washer and it leaks,(be sure to check for a leak) it is just another PITA thing to have to redo. Hardest part is putting the fluid back in.
If the old fluid is real dirty i would do two drain and fills and using the ATF or Dextron III should be fine for the first one.

Racoon: page 205 in the 1998 owner's manual:

"If CVT Fluid is not available, you
may use Honda Premium Formula
Automatic Transmission Fluid
(ATF) or a quality DEXRON® III
ATF as a temporary replacement.
However, continued use can cause
noise, vibration and performance
problems. Have the differential
drained and refilled with Honda CVT
Fluid as soon as it is convenient."

Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This car has 378,000 km on it and I got it at 360 lol. I would like to do a drain, fill, tons of turns, drain, and finally fill again. I would like a substitute to this $20/L diff fluid for the middle step. It isn't stupid expensive but it's pointless to waste money. I have the right tool to fill the bastard. So Honda ATF might suit that middle flush step?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Probably, but Dextron III was the other temp substitute besides the old Honda ATF.
Look on Amazon or ebay. I believe you can get DP2 for around $12/qt with free shipping.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I checked the PDF copy of the 1999 CR-V Owners Manual and it has the same information about CVT, ATF, and Dexron, as does the 2000 CR-V Owners Manual.

The 2002 CR-V Owners Manual says:

Only use Honda Dual Pump Fluid.
Do not use Automatic Transmission
Fluid (ATF).
The next question I have is why you think you need to do two changes?
Did you do the "drive in a circle test" and there was a groaning or moaning noise from the rear end?

To test the rear diff find an empty parking lot.
Roll down the driver's window and stick your head out.
Drive in a tight circle (but not full lock on the steering wheel) while listening for moaning or groaning noises from the rear end.
Repeat going in the opposite direction.

No moaning or groaning noises? The rear diff is fine, although if the maintenance schedule says it's due for a fluid change then change it.

If you do hear noises, then do the drain and fill on the rear diff and drive normally for a few days and repeat the circle test. No noises? You're good.
Hear the noises again? Then do another drain and fill of the rear diff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's awesome, thanks. The reason is that every thing I've checked so far has suffered from neglect so this is no different. I will do the test when I get to work this morning.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've had a moan and/or shuddering in two different CR-Vs, and each time a single drain and fill with Dual Pump Fluid cured it. If the differential is working well now, I would think a single drain and fill with DPF should cover it.

I get the fluid at the dealer locally and don't recall it being all that expensive. But prices vary by dealer. And it's probably best to replace those crush washers.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,185 Posts
It will probably be just fine. But if I were to do a second drain/fill I would wait for 1k miles or so before replacing the fluid again. Curious if you know how many miles did you have on the old diff fluid before it started shuddering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts