Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well going down parkway, my drivers-side rear wheel comes off and I slide to a stop. I have no idea what could have caused this. All 5 lugs were on. Im being towed now as I write this. Tow driver said brakes went to the floor and fluid squirted out where wheel came off.

I did have a flat a week ago on passenger rear tire, which I replaced with a snow tire of 9+/32nds tread depth. The tire on the wheel that came off had tread of 3-4/32nds which I was planning to soon replace with another snow tire. Could this (L & R tires being different) done just over the last 7 days be the reason why the wheel came off?

I have one heck of a job to do on a limited budget to fix this. Thank you for reading and your advice.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Doesnt sound like you retorqued or properly torqued the wheel stufs after u swapped it.

lucky you didnt crash or catch fire if it was grinding on pavement OR that the wheel didnt kill anyone... they fly at highway speeds

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BoostedV but the wheel that came off (drivers-side rear) was on there for months. The tire replaced (with the new snow tire) was on the passenger-side rear. Yes I consider myself "fortunate" that no other vehicles or people were damaged. I will take some photos tomorrow morning to post here. Speed limit in this particular area was 45 I think. I was going 40. Again thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
So are you thinking the axle snapped at the hub? It does sound like that. Were you in 4WD at the time?
Just curious.
Having two wheels on the same axle with different diameters (much less tread on one) shouldn't cause a problem with stress unless the vehicle was in 4 WD a lot on dry pavement and I sure don't know if that little bit could cause that problem.
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

Is that the same wheel you had replaced 10 months ago because the rim was bent and the wheel was wobbling? I just read back through your posts.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buffalo4 thanks for reading my past post... well yes the bent hub was back there but I have decommissioned the hub way back then where it will never be used again to mount a tire. I may use it to make a charcoal bbq.

More info... One good Samaritan who saw the whole thing happen gathered my bouncing wheel, the brake shoe cylinder and a big rubber "grommet". He said he was a mechanic and auto inspector and said the only thing that would cause this would be if the lugs were taken or stripped off or not torqued down enough. All I know is the last time that wheel was touched or changed, it was by me who always triple torques down the lugs, in a star pattern, until they cant be hand torqued any more.

Photos posted soon.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I believe that my 1999 is full time AWD / 4WD Buffalo4.
Damn, I forgot that they only engaged the rear wheels when the front wheels lost traction.
I haven't been in a CRV for many years and I presently own an '03 Odyssey.
So, the wheel came off and the lug bolts were still on the vehicle? I am a little confused.
Hopefully the repair cost won't be too high.

Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 77 Posts