Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Those studs look strange. Damaged, but not fractured. All of them need replacing. In fact with entire brake assembly might need replacing.
I once had the experience of loose lug nuts. It appeared as a weird rattle.That I couldn't figure out. Happened right after a service. But I stopped (on the interstate, and tightened them up. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone might have loosened your nuts. Please check the others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That is my thought also.
That's what I was thinking too, either the lug nuts became loose or someone loosened them. I heard a noise during the day but thought it was coming from the studded snow tire. I stopped a few times during the day and looked at the snow tire and wheel, when I should have been looking at the wheel on the other side.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was just wondering what the threads inside the nuts looked like , the wheel offs I have seen about 10 times in the past 16 years is the studs sheer off but it looks like they were about to ,it looks to me the brake drum was chewing at the studs every time you put on the brakes, but the taper seat on the wheels don't look chewed up like I have seen on loose lug nuts,and like said above it makes noise I have had cars in for a noise that when road testing it driving around and listening to it when the brakes were applied the noise would stop and then get it in the shop and lift it up and the wheel is loose pretty scary when I was just going 55 and shifting the weight back and forth during the road test , even on steel wheels it will chew up the tapered seat so it looks like the nuts were possibly not on, or wrong 1/2"-20 nuts or stripped threads on the nut was on that wheel the CRV is 12mm x 1.5 threads or that hub that was replaced had a different thread not likely though it would of had to be 7/16" for the 12mm nuts to force fit ,sometimes the wheel can be frozen on the hub and drive on it with no nuts until it breaks loose is possible,did the tire shop maybe remove the LR and then realize it was the RR that needed the tire or thought they were doing 2 or more tires ,I would check the other 3 wheels if you haven't already,looks like you just need 5 studs and nuts and a wheel cylinder to me the shoes are scratched up a little but ok maybe ,on the wheel its not clear how the tapper seats are but appear ok ,what is the rubber yellowish thing in the photo that's odd,was that between the wheel and the hub that could be the problem

·
Registered
387 Posts
from the looks of the tapered seats on the wheels it looks like the nuts were completely off before driving,looking at the photos again the shoes do look pretty thin,really if you want to keep it cheap if you were able to find the rubber cup piston you could just pop it back in if the bleeder screw isn't frozen, studs and nuts $20, can you get a close up of the wheel? are they OE nuts on the other 3 or after market because I have seen the washer type nuts put on a taper seat that caused the wheel off

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 136785
The tire that came flying off.
The brake shoes are shot They are all gone need replacing The wheel cylider also and the rim is no good the lug holes are elongated from chucking back and forth with loose lug nuts .The wheel studs are halfway chewed through by the brake drum chucking back and forth because it was not held on by the lug nuts they have to be repaced also That was loose for a long time I think the wobble you were getting was this wheel but some how somebody decided it was the other wheel and changed that one .Still with a used rim from a salvage yard and the other new parts the whole mess should be under a hundred dollars in parts and maybe an hour to an hour and a half labor

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I once had the experience of loose lug nuts.
I wonder how long a wheel can stay on without lug nuts or for that matter, how long it would take loose lug nuts to "walk" themselves off of the studs. My buddy's brother worked on his '96 Accord about a decade ago. He didn't get far (maybe just a few miles from the shop) when the front wheel came off--his brother either didn't put them on, or put them on so loosely that they fell off. No real damage except the fender was a little banged up.

Any time a car turns, it is putting sideways pressure on all four wheels. So I can't imagine it going far if it didn't have any lug nuts on it whatsoever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar situation on a 2003 CRV. Was driving and thought the caliper was sticking making a vibration in the front tire. Jacked up the car and the lug nuts were loose.
i had just had it inspected and called my Son in-law( a previous Honda mechanic) and asked him about it. He said that the holes in the rim get an oxide build up after awhile and have to be cleanEd out if the wheel has not been removed for a while. If it is not clean throughly, the wheel will not seat properly once removed and re torqued. I cleaned The holes with some sandpaper, re installed the tire and it was okay..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well going down parkway, my drivers-side rear wheel comes off and I slide to a stop. I have no idea what could have caused this. All 5 lugs were on. Im being towed now as I write this. Tow driver said brakes went to the floor and fluid squirted out where wheel came off.

I did have a flat a week ago on passenger rear tire, which I replaced with a snow tire of 9+/32nds tread depth. The tire on the wheel that came off had tread of 3-4/32nds which I was planning to soon replace with another snow tire. Could this (L & R tires being different) done just over the last 7 days be the reason why the wheel came off?

I have one heck of a job to do on a limited budget to fix this. Thank you for reading and your advice.
regarless of how they got that way your lug nuts were loose for a long time and you should have felt it easily. On the other hand that thing has so much rust in the unibody you shouldn't be driving it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder how long a wheel can stay on without lug nuts or for that matter, how long it would take loose lug nuts to "walk" themselves off of the studs. My buddy's brother worked on his '96 Accord about a decade ago. He didn't get far (maybe just a few miles from the shop) when the front wheel came off--his brother either didn't put them on, or put them on so loosely that they fell off. No real damage except the fender was a little banged up.

Any time a car turns, it is putting sideways pressure on all four wheels. So I can't imagine it going far if it didn't have any lug nuts on it whatsoever.
the nuts were not loose, they were missing. You can see the threads are in good shape except where the wheel chewed into them. either an enemy, prankster or thief.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The lug nuts came loose as you can see the wear marks on the studs, some low down and other higher up.
That means the wheel was wobbling for some time. Perhaps some vandals loosened up the lug nuts as a prank.
Overall, for some reason or other it sure looks like the lug nuts were loose and then worked themselves off.
BAD!!! Lucky you didn't get hurt!!
Great pictures. Thanks,
Buffalo4

21 - 40 of 77 Posts