Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ok got it back in. The back piston pin of the cylinder goes in, the front piston pin does not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
When the shoes were further apart, the left (front) piston was partially out of the cylinder with it's boot detached from the cylinder like it was at the beginning. I then took it out and thought maybe it screws in but I didnt see any threads. I looked inside the cylinder & saw fluid & a spring submerged in the fluid. I replaced the piston & repositioned the boot before shortening the adjustment rod.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Tried to put the drum on but still not enough space. Almost felt like it wanted to go on. Per this video, it doesn't look like the rear shoe is far enough into the slot in the rod. Not sure what to do with the right end of the rod. I tried to pry it out from behind during the procedure but it wouldn't budge. The "fork" on the right end does have a short prong (facing front) with a long prong behind the shoe. It could just be an optical thing, or maybe not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The right end of the rod appears in the upper part of this image, the left end is in the lower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wish I was there to see what's going on. I think you might be hanging up on the lever for the emergency brakes. The lever is attached to the rear shoe, on the back side. Make sure you ebrake is fully released in the vehicle. The ebrake cable will come through the backing plate and attach to the lever on the back side of the rear shoe. The cable may be hanging up, and may need some help to return. Pull the cable back with some pliers. Or pry it back with screw driver. Or what ever works. This will allow the lever to swing out, which will allow the top of the brake shoes to come together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
The new shoe shows the rectangular gap to extend just past the center of the hole above it. The right part of the adjustment rod extends to this exact area... the shoe appears to not be in the rod's slot at all but hung up on the edge of the shorter prong facing the camera.
20200102_210730.jpg
20200102_211010.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
The emergency brake was disengaged. I tried pushing back the right shoe & pulling forward the rod. Actually they do seem to move, independently. The rod doesnt seem to be hung up on the right shoe but that nothing from the left is forcing it to the right. Which brings me to the left cylinder piston which wont go in. Maybe if it can go in, the rod can close into the right shoe and the drum can be put on. The cylinder there is the original. I guess I will need to take the rod & spring out again to spread apart the shoes to look at that cylinder more closely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
1st nice day in awhile but frigid. Last i checked 18degF. Used a C clamp to compress wheel cylinder pistons. Now both move, one goes in then the other out & vice vera. Been indoors 15 mins and fingers still numb. Dont want frostbite. Question. Immediately behind right (rear) shoe is parking brake lever. Wondering if this is impacting whether or not the right prong of adjustment rod wont go fully in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Jim now seeing that lever behind the right shoe I think I know what you mean and why the right prong is shaped as it is. I will give what you wrote a try when my fingers stop being numb.

I wish I was there to see what's going on. I think you might be hanging up on the lever for the emergency brakes. The lever is attached to the rear shoe, on the back side. Make sure you ebrake is fully released in the vehicle. The ebrake cable will come through the backing plate and attach to the lever on the back side of the rear shoe. The cable may be hanging up, and may need some help to return. Pull the cable back with some pliers. Or pry it back with screw driver. Or what ever works. This will allow the lever to swing out, which will allow the top of the brake shoes to come together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
E brake with breaks assembled feels right, without the big spring, feels very loose when pulling lever by the seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Putting everything together again.

Got drum on finally but it is very tight.

Removed drum, loosened the adjustment rod a turn, now the drum goes on better and not tight but just a little resistance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
It seems that this job is done other than bleeding the brake system, which I think I will address in another post. Another matter came up on engine startup which I will address in another post. Here finally I will include a 48 sec video of the final brake assembly where you can see that the cylinder pistons and centering & spacing around the shoes look well. Thanks for all your help.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts