Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. We just purchased our 1st CRV - a white 2016 model and we are thrilled with it. Since we have never owned a CRV before, we were curious if other owners have any tips that helped them to optimize their experience or helped them extend the life of their CRV. There didn't seem to be much on this in the owner's manual.

Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
One of the best tips is to download the available online owners manual with this link: http://owners.honda.com/ Free & Very detailed.

Congrats on your new '16 CRV, you're going to love it! Welcome to the forum too.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi there. We just purchased our 1st CRV - a white 2016 model and we are thrilled with it. Since we have never owned a CRV before, we were curious if other owners have any tips that helped them to optimize their experience or helped them extend the life of their CRV. There didn't seem to be much on this in the owner's manual.

Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you!
Welcome to the club. Here are my tips:

- Do a thorough check around the engine, timing chain cover etc for potential oil leaks. Take pictures along the line where valve cover & timing chain cover meet the engine.
- Keep a log of anything odd you hear, see or smell (e.g. vibrations, rattles, grinding, buzzing etc)
- Report all problems immediately to the dealer
- Follow Maintenance Minder direction and change oil and filter yourself. Use only Honda oil and filter
- Check and change other things as much as possible (e.g. air filter, in-cabin filter, tire rotation, brake pad check etc), You will get to know your CRV and will come in handy in the future if someone tries to rip you off for unnecessary repairs.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Nice to meet you!
Congrats on your new purchase! Glad to have you aboard! Happy Motoring! You will be very happy with the V. Have you rust proofed it? Do the proper maintenance it will give you many years of service. Keep it clean & use a good type of car wash especially in the Winter Months. Get the best Car wash you can buy. It will help protect the painted surface. Good luck!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Could not ad any better info than what OP have already said, and BTW welcome to the forum, a lot of good members here eager to help, just ask. Good luck to you/yours.
David g................:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the warm welcome.

No, I hadn't thought of rust proofing. I will look into that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will post one day, how I seriously increased the life of the front suspension's upper arms, kept replacing every 6 months!
After my mod, nil!

Very bad roads here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, a bit of feedback after owning the CR-V for a bit. Really loving the car!

Since the owner's manual was mentioned here, I wanted to provide some feedback that I sent to Honda after some irritation I had concerning the owner's manual, in case it is of value to other owners:

"1. Owner’s manual: compared to our Prius, which has every function and aspect of our Toyota laid out, the Honda owner’s manual is like a Reader’s Digest version of what a manual should be. In addition, it does not separate out different trim levels, so it is confusing for the owner of the vehicle to know which information is relevant to them specifically. It is not very helpful. I would rate it a C-.

To compensate for this, I would recommend your customers visit the Honda CR-V Owner’s Club forums. This has been very helpful for me.

2. Wallpaper: to highlight the deficiencies of the owner’s manual with an example, setting up the wallpaper in the CRV is no where to be found in the manual. Not that I could find, anyway, and apparently I am not alone: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/20-mobile-electronics/67802-2015-cr-v-wallpaper-display.html

It took me two days, lots of Internet searching, and lots of experimentation to finally find a solution to what should be an easy, simple procedure. While it is possible to upload a photo as wallpaper for my LX trim level. Apparently, this is not the case for all trim levels, which is a source of frustration for new owners, as you can imagine. It turns a selling point into a point of contention that negatively impacts the buying experience.

To help your customers not have to go through what I went through, here is the procedure that worked for me. You may want to provide them with a copy of this. Again, not clear if this will work for the new 2017 models.

It is possible to add wallpaper to the i-MID screen in this mode (Honda CR-V 2016 LX). Here is what worked for me.

1. It did not seem to want to accept JPEG, but it would accept BMP files.

2. It would not accept large files up to 5MB as I read somewhere. I was able to get it to accept a 1.8MB BMP file. Possible it could go larger but I didn't test it.

3. Vertical photos do not look as good, since the space for the wallpaper is horizontal.

4. Plug a USB flash drive into your Honda CR-V USB port.

5. Press the “Menu” button on your steering wheel and use the up and down arrow buttons to select “Custom settings” displayed on your i-MID display.

6. Use the same up and down arrows on your steering wheel to then locate the “Display Setup” option, press “source” on your steering wheel again.

7. Locate the “Import Wallpaper” option, and press “source” again. Once you are in this screen on your Honda i-MID display, use the up and down arrows on your steering wheel to locate the photo on your USB drive, which should show up by file name. Select the photo and hit "source" to load it.

If the photo itself doesn't show up on your i-Mid display or it goes through the loading procedure and you only get a screen that shows you the title of the file again, the photo didn't load. You need to troubleshoot the issue (USB too old, photo saved in the wrong format, etc.). It will not always tell you what the issue is. For example, my JPG file was too big and it didn't like JPG for some reason, but it wouldn't tell me that. I had to figure it out myself. When I tried BMP, it did tell me the file size was too big.

8. Once your picture is displayed on the i-MID screen in your Honda vehicle, press the “source” button again. This gives you the option to save the file in one of three slots. Choose a slot, then hit "source" again if necessary. This saves your image. It takes a while to do this.

9. Press the “Menu” button on your steering wheel to choose the wallpaper display.

Another problem in the owner’s manual is the recommended tire chains. The recommended chains for my car and tire size is SCC Radial Chain SC1042. When I put this into Amazon.com, it tells me it will not fit my wheels, which is aggravating. Do you carry chains at the dealership or can you recommend chains here in the local area? "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts