Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
FYI, the slots in the screws need a #2 JIS bit. A Phillips bit will walk out of the slots, wallowing the slots out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^ exactly. Make sure you are using Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) screwdrivers. JIS looks like Phillips but is not. They are somewhat hard to find, but Amazon usually has them.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Saw somewhere else on this site to try using stainless steel lock washers when reattaching the shield after you make your next oil change. Presently have a '19 which is due an OC shortly. Will be using the stainless steel lock washers when I replace the aerodynamic pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
April 6, 2013

Greetings:

I'm an automotive DIY'er and have always changed the oil and oil filters on my vehicles.

Today, my first attempt to change the oil and filter on my 2012 CR-V (purchased in August 2012) met with failure. (This would have represented the vehicle's first oil change.) (Owners of the vehicle will find the procedure for doing this on pp. 278-279 of the car's Owner's Manual.) No matter how hard I tried, I could not unscrew the four (4) Phillips-head screws holding the metal cover that shields the oil filter and drain plug from the road surface. Is there some trick to removing these screws? The owner's manual says nothing about it and implies that the four screws should be extremely easy to remove.

If any one can provide me with a tip on how to remove these screws (they refused to budge, even when using a long-handled screw driver), so I can change the oil on my CR-V, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

pa.legendman

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I didn't want to strip the screws, so I removed the front underpanel. Didn't take too long - maybe about 5 minutes of pulling out 12 expansion nuts. Once the underpanel was off, I used an impact screw extractor (which I keep handy for removing frozen screws). Whole thing took an extra 10-15 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG

It was my bad for letting the dealer do my last oil change. This is not the 1st time they over-torqued things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a vise grip and grab the outside edge of the stripped screw, and turn counter clockwise. buy 4 replacements from the dealer, $7 each.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts