Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking at trying to install a ham radio rig in my 2000 model and was wondering if there is anyone here who may have experience doing so and would be able to help with how to route the antenna, it looks to me like the rest of the pieces are pretty straight forward to install and I think I can do those without much trouble, I just don't know how to route the feed-line to the antenna without it looking hideous. I do not have much experience with modifying cars so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where were you planning on mounting the antenna?

On my 3rd generation, the radio was under the front passenger seat, with the antenna on a lip mount on top of the hatch. I ran the antenna line under the floor mats and spare tire well cover, then up the side in the corner.

I attached it to the pneumatic piston rod with a twist tie to keep a drip loop in the wire to prevent water wicking down it into the car, plus to keep the little bit of slack needed in the right place. Only time it was really noticeable was when I had the back hatch open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in my original plan I was going to try to get it up by the passenger or driver door, but i just went out and looked and I think I can route the cable like you said under the floor mats to the back, then up the side and under the gasket at the top and mount it back there. I don't know how to route it under the gasket, but i'm thinking that i may be able to go through the rubber and repair it with silicone or something.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did not cut through the gasket, just passed through the door letting the gasket act as a seal around it, hence the drip loop. It was a Comet CP-5M that ends in RG-174A/U coax which is so thin I could get away with doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.