Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just did my timing belt, valve cover gasket, new tires(which are bigger), and have had a significant drop in fuel mileage and power/acceleration. Now, i understand and expected some loss of fuel mileage and power from the larger tires, but it had a very difficult time getting up the hills on i65 going to atlanta. The fuel mileage dropped from 28 average to about 21-22. It had to down**** a lot to keep a steady speed going up the hills. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
It may simply be the bigger tires that are causing you the issues. Bigger tires are heavier and the 1st gen was under powered, so that's my thought. If you have the funds, I'd go back to the OEM size tire and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Larger tires have a much greater impact on cars with small engines when the car is already underpowered. It decreases the power a lot and you use a lot more gas because you have to give it more gas to maintain the same speed. I went to an even smaller car on some of the cars I have had in the past for better performance.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What size tire did you go to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts