Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep seeing people posting pics of their CR-Vs in places (mostly Facebook) with the wrong trim levels listed. I realize these cars are old, and that some info is simply lost with time. I kind of figured this was all common knowledge tho, because I learned most of it before even looking for my car. Apparently, that's not really true.

In light of that realization, I'm going to share what I know. If it helps you, great. If not, feel free to ignore.

The following is true of US market CR-Vs. Other markets may differ.

CR-V LX:
1996-2001
Gray bumpers
Black door handles, mirrors and trim around grill
Steel wheels

CR-V LX-ABS:
97, and maybe 96
LX, but with ABS and alloy wheels

CR-V EX
98-01
Gray bumpers
Body-color painted mirrors and door handles
Black trim around grill
ABS
Keyless entry
Camping seats
Alloy wheels

My EX, of course:

CR-V SE
2000-2001
All EX features
Half-painted bumpers: body color on top, gray on bottom
Chrome trim around grill
Leather interior
Hard body-color spare tire cover

This is what the camping seats do:

Standard features on all first generation CR-Vs, afaik, include:
Power steering
Power door locks
Power mirrors
Air conditioning
Locking glove box
Folding tray table with 2 cup holders (or 4 cupholders on japanese models)
Locking, remote release fuel door
Electric remote hatch release
4 wheel double wishbone independent suspension
Tailgate mounted full size spare tire and wheel, except on some Japanese models
Power assisted front disc/rear drum brakes with mechanical rear-wheel parking brake
Intermittent wipers on front and rear
Tilting steering wheel
Picnic table that doubles as a cargo area floor.
50/50 Fold-flat rear seats with left and right armrests in the middle (they fold forward to expand the cargo area. Camping seats do this and what is pictured above).
Driver's seat armrest
Single angle, height adjustment on driver's seat 96-98
Dual height adjustment on driver's seat 99-01
3 point seat belts in all outboard seating positions, with a lap belt for the center rear passenger.
Dual front airbags, no side or curtain airbags
Rear window defogger
Cargo drawer beneath passenger seat, unless equipped with swivel seat (swivel seat was not a US/Canada option)

Standard equipment on US/Canadian models:
Cruise control
Dimmable instrument/dashboard lightning
Passenger seats were not equipped with armrests, but they can be added on sometimes.

Automatic US/Canadian models have a dual cup holder that pulls out of the dashboard just below the ashtray. Manual models don't have that because that's where the gear shifter is.

96-98 models have a rear ashtray in the left rear door.

99-01 models have folding cupholders in both rear doors.

Manual transmissions we're offered on all models 98-01, but only 4wd

2wd was only offered 98-01, and only on LX automatic models.

(97 and before were all 4wd automatic)

All 4 speed automatic transmissions and 5 speed manual transmission are equipped with overdrive.

AT 4th gear (D4, D with overdrive switched on) is overdrive.
AT 1st gear (1), 2nd gear (2) and 3rd gear (D3, D with overdrive switched off) are not overdrive.

MT gears 1,2,3 and 4 are not overdrive.
MT gear 5 is overdrive.

Keyless entry can be added to LX models, but you may have to replace the PDL control module.

Rear mud flaps were standard equipment on all models. Front mud flaps were not standard equipment on any models.

Other options like a roof rack, front mud flaps, nerf bars, bull bar, etc. can be added to any crv because they're all bolt on options, and, I believe, not Standard equipment on any model.

There wasn't a factory sunroof for North America. It seems to have been a dealer add-on that Honda did not endorse.

Stock wheels are 15x6JJ
Stock tires are 205/70r15, but bigger tires fit without modifications. People who have done that will know better than me.

·
Registered
00&01 CRV
190 Posts
I did no research. I just saw an opportunity to get two at a steal, and took it. The one I'm keeping is an LX. The plan is to paint the grey stuff black, paint the door handles and mirror covers body color. Not because I want to be an EX, but because I think it looks unfinished the way it is.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did no research. I just saw an opportunity to get two at a steal, and took it. The one I'm keeping is an LX. The plan is to paint the grey stuff black, paint the door handles and mirror covers body color. Not because I want to be an EX, but because I think it looks unfinished the way it is.
My bestie bought a 2wd LX from 98 first. I helped her go through it and fix any problems. My need to know what models had what came when I was reading through her owner's manual and I saw the instructions for the camping seats with the notation "(EX only)"

From there, and the fact that I was planning to drive on dirt and snow, I decided I needed an EX so I would have the ABS as well. I settled on a 98 as my objective because I couldn't stand the dark interior or the weird shifting of the 99 that I test drove.

Funny thing is that the ad for my car had such bad pics that I'm pretty sure no one else could even tell what car it was. I knew to look at it because one pic had the color of the dashboard and the gear shifter (so I could tell it was a 98), and one pic had part of the right mirror and the door handle on that side (so I knew it was an EX) as well as part of the roof, which was still shiny (the roof is usually the least cared for part of the exterior, so the part that usually goes bad there first).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts