Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in the rust belt, acquired a free 98 CRV from neighbor. Rear wheel arches are full of rot. Trying to get this 4wd CRV on the road for my son this winter. I already restored a 2002 Miata for him which had a ton of rust. He will not be trying his luck in the snow with that! The CRV I found rear quarter panel patch panels on Ebay over in Lithuania or Latvia, I forget. They are not perfect but not bad! Here I am again cutting out and welding in. Main issue, while removing the rear drums the shoe retaining pins collapsed the rear backing plate on pass. side. It was that rotted! I've looked everywhere (I think) Can't find new OEM or aftermarket units! Does anyone have a lead on drum brake backing plates besides salvage yard? Not looking to convert to disk brake either.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inners I will probably form my own out of multiple pieces. The bottom rocker piece towards the rear is an easier piece to make. Compound curves are a bear! I own an English wheel but have not used it much. Better get comfortable with it though! I'm guessing someone has tried using backing plates from another model. I'll order some variations from local autoparts and report back. May take a few days.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
if metal around where the pins go is still solid, fender washers work for a temp fix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts