Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

The rubber on the belt molding (the horizontal trim on the OUTside of the window, mounted to the top of door) on my '98 is shot. I live in CO so the snow is melting down into the inside of the door causing problems. The paint has flaked off long ago. Not worried about appearances.

Anyone know where to find replacements??? I've looked for a while and I found some questionable sources on eBay. Haven't called the dealership yet, trying to save a few bucks. Aftermarket is fine, as I'm sure OEM (if they even still make them) will be around $70-80. And I'm not 100% sure if my car has a one-piece molding or and inner with an outer piece. Thoughts?

Hope someone can help! Happy 2019

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I checked my favorite parts site, and the online price is US $80 and $84 for the two front doors. Looks like list is about US $113.
It looks like the ones for the rear doors are discontinued.

This might help: https://goo.gl/oLLGV1

·
Registered
895 Posts
I checked my favorite parts site, and the online price is US $80 and $84 for the two front doors. Looks like list is about US $113.
It looks like the ones for the rear doors are discontinued.

This might help: https://goo.gl/oLLGV1
Racoon, I think what you found is the door track. I had trouble finding these once before. They stick them under the molding sub menu. You can still get all of them. I don't know why they are so damn expensive though. I replaced all 4 on my '12 Civic for about what one of these cost. Here is the link. You'll need the first 4. https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-parts/1998/honda/cr-v-5-door/ex-trim/4-speed-automatic-engine/interior-bumper-cat/molding-scat

·
Registered
895 Posts
Oops. Sorry, you're right, I found the wrong parts. :Darn:
It happens. It took me about two hours to find them the first time I looked. It took some creative use of the search engine on the site to find it in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Racoon, I think what you found is the door track. I had trouble finding these once before. They stick them under the molding sub menu. You can still get all of them. I don't know why they are so damn expensive though. I replaced all 4 on my '12 Civic for about what one of these cost. Here is the link. You'll need the first 4. https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-parts/1998/honda/cr-v-5-door/ex-trim/4-speed-automatic-engine/interior-bumper-cat/molding-scat
Yes! I found what racoon found, too. Thanks for this link! And yeah, WTH??? $70 for 1 piece of plastic/rubber?? ha. Where did you get yours, for your Civic, so cheap?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I do remember dealing with the paint on those pieces peeling.

They're a bit of a pain to remove, as I remember. I used the Honda Service Manual to figure out how to remove them, then painted them, and replaced them.

If I did it today I might be tempted to use plastidip instead of paint.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, they are stainless steel. I think there are some screws behind the door panel that you have to remove on these to get them off.

I got the ones for the Civic from either Honda Parts Cheap or Honda Parts Now. Cant remember. I wonder if the reason is that they aren't current production or something. Google the part numbers. May be able to find them cheaper. Be careful of the wholesale places though. Some of them will scalp you on shipping. May be cheaper, but you will pay $30 to ship it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I went digging through my pictures archive, and found some of when I replaced them on my 1999 CR-V.

I did not paint them, I replaced them with new ones. Sorry about the confusion. :(

I did find pictures showing a screw hole at the rear of each door where the end of the strip is attached.
And there were a couple of clips on each strip, but only the single screw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys. And yes, you’re right, they are metal. I guess that makes the $70 a little easier to take.
At the dealer, they’re $120 a piece! Not that suprising I guess.
Im going to order a 4pack from HondaParts or whoever has the deals. I’ll try to post pics of the swap out, because somethin tells me it might not go as smoothly as expected, ha

·
Registered
895 Posts
Door.jpg

This may help a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts