Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2019 CR-V is about 11 months old. I don't drive much and most of my driving is short-distance. Yesterday, my Maintenance Minder light came on and indicated 15% remaining oil life. My odometer shows about 4300 miles. I know that the MM uses some kind of algorithm to determine maintenance schedules and that lots of short-distance driving would mean more frequent oil changes. i also know that it's recommended to change the oil at least every 12 months, whatever the mileage.

What I'm wondering is if the 15% status is kicking in at 4300 miles because of my driving habits, or is it because the computer keeps track of the time between MM resets? Does the MM know that a 1 year anniversary is coming up? Also, is the 1st oil change typically earlier than subsequent changes? Just interested in understanding how it works.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The MM tracks both time and driving conditions and 1 year as well. Unless your driving habits change, the MM is likely to remain at about +/-4300 miles depending. After 30 months of ownership, I have yet to see 4K miles before the MM displays.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, because I've seen posts indicating that some people get around 10,000 miles between oil changes. I guess that driving patterns really do matter.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
As mentioned the oil change interval is also based on time. If you didn't drive the vehicle at all you would still get the MM warning pop up at 1 year. Your vehicle knows the time and probably your credit card number. In the future it will probably drive itself to the dealer for service😊.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Your vehicle knows the time and probably your credit card number.
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

So does my wife! 😭

@Woodley it looks as if your car is on track for a yearly oil change. IMO that is why you are getting the notification at 11 months (it gives you time to buy oil/make appointments, however you choose). If you drove farther during the year (but the usage MM algorithm wasn't triggered) the % would be lower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts