Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question I purchased my 2019 CRV last November 2019, I only have 1500 miles on the CRV. I want to wait for my first oil change to be done when the MM light comes up. Now the oil life % is now at 60% when I should change the oil on the truck if the MM light does not come up due to the miles on the suv. Is the MM light considers the oil time or only goes by mileage? Should I change the oil after 1 year without regarding the oil life percentage and no MM light. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If this is your first Honda CRV, new, the First reminder is at 15% oil change due soon, then 10%, 5%, then Oil change required. Until you reset the MM, if you left alone, the MM may stay locked on or go out, some cars it will stay lit till reset.

If you never changed the 1st oil, some may not wait for a MM reminder, they will go by Mileage, and then either reset the mm and do it on thesame reminder or reset and do it on the new reminder.

For I will change the Oil prior then within reason there after.

Its best on a turbo to listen to the Forum, or some one. but we know you got the experience, and will do right

FISH

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Also for longevity of the engine, changing more often is recommended for Direct Injection engines.

So if you have the time, it's worth it to just change the oil out every 6 months. Don't have to touch the filter.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Question I purchased my 2019 CRV last November 2019, I only have 1500 miles on the CRV. I want to wait for my first oil change to be done when the MM light comes up. Now the oil life % is now at 60% when I should change the oil on the truck if the MM light does not come up due to the miles on the suv. Is the MM light considers the oil time or only goes by mileage? Should I change the oil after 1 year without regarding the oil life percentage and no MM light. Thank you.
The MM in the gen5 CRVs is quite smart. It does not just track miles.. it tracks engine conditions, driving conditions, ambient weather, and even calendar time (it WILL trigger a 15% oil change soon alert ~ 11 months after the last oil change.. even if you only drove 10 miles in those 11 months). The calendar check is a boon for those of us who never "mileage out" on our oil.. no more keeping manual track of calendar time for the mandatory oil change at one year old oil.

In other words.. trust your MM to tell you when you need an oil service, really any normal schedule service as the MM covers most everything that needs to be serviced. BUT... also remember to check your oil level at each refueling too... because there have been some gen5 CRVS that experience oil rise.. though many do not. The only definitive check for this is to check oil level.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'll take a different opinion. Get that oil out of there ASAP.
I wish I could have gotten that elevated silicone level out earlier (I didn't know)
But my opinion is only based on a used oil analysis of the factory fill.

·
Super Moderator
7,487 Posts
I'll take a different opinion. Get that oil out of there ASAP.
I wish I could have gotten that elevated silicone level out earlier (I didn't know)
But my opinion is only based on a used oil analysis of the factory fill.

Your advice flies in opposition to Honda recommendations though. They recommend the initial factory oil be left in until the MM reaches 15%. Reason: the factory oil has some unique additives to help a new engine properly season-in for long life.

Silicone IS NOT a problem in a new vehicle so I am not sure why you are sensitive to it's presence. It is simply a byproduct of the engine assembly process, and is normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The MM in the gen5 CRVs is quite smart. It does not just track miles.. it tracks engine conditions, driving conditions, ambient weather, and even calendar time (it WILL trigger a 15% oil change soon alert ~ 11 months after the last oil change.. even if you only drove 10 miles in those 11 months). The calendar check is a boon for those of us who never "mileage out" on our oil.. no more keeping manual track of calendar time for the mandatory oil change at one year old oil.

In other words.. trust your MM to tell you when you need an oil service, really any normal schedule service as the MM covers most everything that needs to be serviced. BUT... also remember to check your oil level at each refueling too... because there have been some gen5 CRVS that experience oil rise.. though many do not. The only definitive check for this is to check oil level.
Great thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,487 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CR-V touring Hybrid
217 Posts
I got the extended warranty when I bought my 2019 a month ago. Honda sent me a very nice coupon book that includes 14 oil changes (105,000 miles total), each at 7,500 intervals. It doesn't give a time option as in 3 months or whatever, each one just says 7,500 miles.

Side note: The book came with other coupons such as a wiper refill each year, two tire rotations each year, one replacement key fob, free same day rental when car is in for maintenance, and free car wash after every service.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You did not answer my question, and what you linked confirms high silicone (and by association silicon, since silicone has silicon in it) IS NORMAL and not cause for early change of the oil from the factory.
I'm sorry, which sentence ended with a question mark?
Silicone can equal silicone sealants, and it can just as likely equal sand from the casting process.
Why would you want to keep either circulating in a new engine?

The factory fill oil analysis clearly showed silicone (from the manufacturing process) at "Critical" levels.
What possible benefit can result from a foreign contaminant (not normally found at "Critical levels") in an engine?

Did the analysis lab scold me for not changing it earlier? Nope.
But I didn't ask their opinion on when it should have been changed, and they didn't offer it.
Feel free to leave the sand and sealant circulating, that's why I started by saying this was "a different opinion"

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Awesome, make sure you go in wit hteh MM and mileage near the oil, they can turn you away,

·
Super Moderator
7,487 Posts
I'm sorry, which sentence ended with a question mark?
Silicone can equal silicone sealants, and it can just as likely equal sand from the casting process.
Why would you want to keep either circulating in a new engine?

The factory fill oil analysis clearly showed silicone (from the manufacturing process) at "Critical" levels.
What possible benefit can result from a foreign contaminant (not normally found at "Critical levels") in an engine?

Did the analysis lab scold me for not changing it earlier? Nope.
But I didn't ask their opinion on when it should have been changed, and they didn't offer it.
Feel free to leave the sand and sealant circulating, that's why I started by saying this was "a different opinion"
You continue, in your linked post, and in subsequent posts to confuse silicone with silicon, so I'm really not sure you have an objective grasp of the facts here.

The oil analysis will read out "silicon" particle counts NOT silicone. That said.. silicone does have silicon in it, so any new engine with it's initial factory oil in it is going to show higher silicon particle count compared to subsequent oil changes. Again.. the key term you keep ignoring is "this is normal". You are literally trying to fix something that is normal and not broken.

Here's the thing though..... presence of silicon in your factory oil analysis is NOT a problem as long as the levels measured are within normal limits. And again.. Honda specifically recommends NOT changing the factory oil early as it has additives that help the engine properly age-in for long and reliable life.

If you actually think there is residual "sand" in the oil from the engine casting process.. then you have no sense of modern casting and metal processing techniques.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
250 Posts
FWIW - The dealership where I bought my 2018 Touring would NOT change the oil until the vehicle had over 5,000 miles on it. I discovered this when I made an appointment and the vehicle had 4500 miles -- they said NO - go home and come back at 5,000 miles. I was told that Honda uses an assembly lube with very high MOLY content in their engines and the engine has to run 5,000 for proper break in. This may or not be true but since the dealership was so insistent I thought it wise to follow the advice, I also trust them having bought 11 vehicles from them -- and it's best keep my warranty intact without any problems along the way.

·
Super Moderator
7,487 Posts
FWIW - The dealership where I bought my 2018 Touring would NOT change the oil until the vehicle had over 5,000 miles on it. I discovered this when I made an appointment and the vehicle had 4500 miles -- they said NO - go home and come back at 5,000 miles. I was told that Honda uses an assembly lube with very high MOLY content in their engines and they engines has to run 5,000 for proper break in. This may or not be true but since the dealership was so insistent I thought it wise to follow the advice, I also trust them having bought 11 vehicles from them -- and it's best keep my warranty intact without any problems along the way.
The dealer is essentially correct here, except for using "miles" as the measure. What the dealer should have stated is bring it back when the MM = 15%.

Changing out the factory oil is specifically something Honda does not want done on these new engines, unless there is a clear maintenance or repair issue that requires doing so.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.