Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Thought I would share this with others as it has saved me a fortune.......

I have been suffering with starting issues on my CR-V 2005.
Had to crank the engine for what seemed a long time before it would start. Once started it ran fine.
I was harder to start when the engine was hot which suggested that it was not a Glow Plug issue.
Gradually got worse over time.

Thought it was due to air in the system, pumping the fuel prime bulb didn't help either!

Found the following post on-line and followed the instructions -

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/111264-how-diagnose-replace-faulty-over-pressure-relief-valve-2006-2-2-ctdi.html

It was indeed the Common Rail Pressure Relief valve.

Sourced a complete unit from Overton Garage in Aberdeen, from a written off vehicle. Cheaper than just purchasing a valve from Bosch.

I had to do this as I couldn't get the faulty valve out as it was Thread Locked in and the Power Steering pump was in the way preventing me from getting a socket onto it.

Took about 30 minutes to swap out and it now starts on the 2nd crank.

Hope this helps others!

Jim

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Hi All,
Thought I would share this with others as it has saved me a fortune.......

I have been suffering with starting issues on my CR-V 2005.
Had to crank the engine for what seemed a long time before it would start. Once started it ran fine.
I was harder to start when the engine was hot which suggested that it was not a Glow Plug issue.
Gradually got worse over time.

Thought it was due to air in the system, pumping the fuel prime bulb didn't help either!

Found the following post on-line and followed the instructions -

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/111264-how-diagnose-replace-faulty-over-pressure-relief-valve-2006-2-2-ctdi.html

It was indeed the Common Rail Pressure Relief valve.

Sourced a complete unit from Overton Garage in Aberdeen, from a written off vehicle. Cheaper than just purchasing a valve from Bosch.

I had to do this as I couldn't get the faulty valve out as it was Thread Locked in and the Power Steering pump was in the way preventing me from getting a socket onto it.

Took about 30 minutes to swap out and it now starts on the 2nd crank.

Hope this helps others!

Jim
Thanks Jim for sharing ! This will definitely help other owner's with a diesel engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a comment.. I thought this would be a quick job. Turns out the power steering pump is in the way and has to be removed first to get to the valve?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts