Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm expecting my 3rd baby in October and wondering how I'm going to fit all three of them in my little backseat! It'll be two carseats and a booster back there. Anyone else done this? Is it even safe?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
a MINIVAN!>!>?!?!?!?

which Cr-v year is it that you have. As for my 2nd gen (2002) I find it hard to deal with car seats in it, and the roominess in the back seat is not very desirable with 3 people there, especially if one of them is in a car seat, or 2.

·
Registered
720 Posts
about a year ago, i have one full size car seat and one booster. it's already getting crowded. now i only have one car seat, booster is gone.
so if you have 2 car seats and one booster plus stroller, plus baby gear = yup, minivan would be the way to go.

minivans are really useful, i honestly dont see why people are so scared of buying one. it wont make any guy less of a man.
i have one and it's extremely useful/versatile.

·
Registered
352 Posts
sure, but it will be terrible to drive. the mere fact that one purchases a minivan means that one is illustrating that one doesn't care about having a modicum of driving enjoyment. so it may not make you less of a man than you were before - i agree with that - but it does show that you're less of a man than you were previously pretending to be :p

on the other hand, i LOVE borrowing my mom's Odyssey when it comes to road trips, ski trips and other excursions. can't beat the utility. it proves its worth fairly quickly when you can put on your ski gear IN the car rather than with the doors open ... and on top of that, it's comfortable and secure in it's handling. it's just not terribly fun, per se.

oh by the way, i'll also point out to the OP that there are several three-row wagons sold in the American market, more along the lines of a European MPV than a US minivan (nothing about which is mini, any more). what springs to mind initially are the Mazda5 and the Kia Rondo. The Mazda is supposedly a blast to drive and the only one I know of available with a manual transmission if you're into that, while the Rondo won't be quite as much fun as the Mazda but better than most minivans, and it's available with leather and a V6 if that's what you're looking for. Soooooo ... if you're not down with a normal minivan, those are the way to go!

I'll leave you with this anecdote: the other day I drove by a house where both husband and wife drove Toyota Sienna minivans. In the same color. And I thought to myself - and I'm sure I am not the only one to draw this conclusion - "those people must be THE MOST BORING people in the entire city." :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
the argument of buying an suv vs. minivan vs. car can go and on and on and on.
having 2 minivans in the same garage or even just one minivan dont make a person boring. it all boils down to personal needs/preference, budget.
when i bought our minivan, i looked at our budget, needs, compared prices with other types of vehicles (car, suv, etc.). the minivan came out on top as the best bang for our buck, based on our budget and needs. i would love to have a porsche or some other fancy car, but i'm not bill gates - so i had to get the most out of my money and the minivan is the answer.

for the original poster, if you have no problem with your budget and you want to stay in the suv category - look at the pilot or highlander or some other full size suv. keep in mind that when you go full size suv, you will pay extra for gas, maintenance, etc.
if your budget is limited and you want to make your money work for you, then i honestly suggest you take a hard look at the minivan. you will have 3 kids soon and that means taking them to baseball practice, hockey games, etc. and that would mean hauling their equipment and that means u need room. it may not be another 4 or 5 years down the road, but it's good to keep these things in mind when you buy a vehicle for family use - especially if you have kids.

·
Registered
196 Posts
crv

Congrats! I can't answer or suggest between a crv or a minivan as I'm not a father, but I can wish you all the best and a hearty congrats to your family! If you can wait, the V is a great teenager's car :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, guys, I'm a MOM. :rolleyes: I'm a 28 yr old RN from the deep south. My man owns an Element, which is even worse, cause it's only a 4 seater, but there's little chance of him giving that up. So I'm the one who's going to end up with the minivan, eventually. My 2006 CR-V is paid off, has been for a year. I fully planned on driving it into the ground. Two kids isn't cramped at all, actually even with a full-size stroller in the back and T-ball equipment up front, we even took it to Florida with 3 kids (we took along another 6 yr old besides mine), luggage, and a cooler in the back and it wasn't that cramped. It's just fitting two carseats back there, plus the buckling and unbuckling/lifing of baby out that has got me worried. Also what would happend to my little sardines if we had a wreck?

I've considered the Honda Pilot as an alternative to the Odyssey, but I'll probably go with the cheapest/safest. I'm not sure whether I should try to make the CR-V work for a few more years or just trade it in, the CR-V was my first new car, the others were second-handers I had to get me through college. I don't know what you mean about the minivan not being fun to drive ... is it really that awkward? I don't really enjoy driving that much but I do like to have an engine with a little power. Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
My apologies MOM and congrats! Don't discount the Odyssey. It's a remarkable van and imo is fun to drive. As a family, we saw many miles melt away on many long distance trips to your wonderful country. We've had it for 7 years until my oldest son crashed it. It was perfect when we vacationed, hauled items, went camping, moved friends, etc, etc. With your growing family and needs, your vehicle also becomes part of it. You'll see, it's the perfect choice for the stage of life your family is in.:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Actually, guys, I'm a MOM. :rolleyes: I'm a 28 yr old RN from the deep south. My man owns an Element, which is even worse, cause it's only a 4 seater, but there's little chance of him giving that up. So I'm the one who's going to end up with the minivan, eventually. My 2006 CR-V is paid off, has been for a year. I fully planned on driving it into the ground. Two kids isn't cramped at all, actually even with a full-size stroller in the back and T-ball equipment up front, we even took it to Florida with 3 kids (we took along another 6 yr old besides mine), luggage, and a cooler in the back and it wasn't that cramped. It's just fitting two carseats back there, plus the buckling and unbuckling/lifing of baby out that has got me worried. Also what would happend to my little sardines if we had a wreck?

I've considered the Honda Pilot as an alternative to the Odyssey, but I'll probably go with the cheapest/safest. I'm not sure whether I should try to make the CR-V work for a few more years or just trade it in, the CR-V was my first new car, the others were second-handers I had to get me through college. I don't know what you mean about the minivan not being fun to drive ... is it really that awkward? I don't really enjoy driving that much but I do like to have an engine with a little power. Thanks!
if you have the budget, go for it - get a bigger vehicle.
if you dont have the budget, then stay with the crv for a while until u have the budget. no sense in forcing yourself to buy a new van and u got no money left for the kids.

people, especially guys... always have this "thing" where they think a minivan is just soooooo not cool. not all guys, but many consider minivans are for soccer moms, they're for old ladies, old men, families with 20 kids and on and on and on. i personally know friends who would rather get shot than be seen driving a minivan! for some guys, minivans are just NOT COOL - period.
awkward to drive? not for me. fun to drive? depends on which minivan you get. the early minivans are not that fun to drive, power is ok, lots of body roll, bouncy rides, etc.
the new minivans of today - i would say 2004 and up, they've come a looooooooooooooooooooong way. a lot of them (japanese models) drive like cars and are super comfortable. as for power, any late model japanese minivan with v6 can leave any crv standing at the red light and cry. the new siennas 2008+ have 270+ horses, would that be enough for you? :) the new odyssey coming out, will also have as much as the siennas. also, it is rumoured that the new odyssey will have a diesel version for north america.
minivans are longer and of course if a vehicle is longer and wider, it's not as easy to drive as a small crv or a toyota yaris - but new models now have really good turning circle, excellent suspension, etc. that when u drive them - you won't feel you're driving a big vehicle at all.

yes, i like minivans. for me, it's more of i want to get the most bang for my buck than trying to be cool.
if i win the lottery, then i will have a minivan exclusively for road trips, a nice fancy sports car for myself only, a high-end suv, a few more fancy cars for weekend use - but until winning the lottery happens, i will stretch my money as far as i can when it comes to buying a car.

only way to find out if a minivan is for you or not, go to a dealer and test drive one. goodluck.
if you are buying used and looking at odyssey - do your research. there are certain years of odyssey with transmission problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys - and jeprox, your post had me rolling, what a jokester you are! Sorry took me so long to get back, I've been dealing with some car trouble, turns out some exposed wires underneath my CRV were cut or chewed in half, and that's why my check engine light kept coming on ... but that's another story. I'll probably keep the CRV for a while longer if we can all fit. I'm not one of those ppl who haul around 20 thousand lbs of baby gear ... a diaper in the glovebox and a box of wipes under the seat and I'm good. Although, I do keep a full-size stroller in the back at all times, d/t the fact it is a pain to haul back and forth to the house and I like to have it with me for spur of the moment outings, however, I can still get a fair amount of groceries back there (one of the reasons I <3 my CRV :p). A diesel oddyessy sounds pretty cool though or maybe they will come out with a hybrid version soon? A minivan is Not really in the budget right now, we're still paying on our other car plus private school, house note ect, but you do make is sound pretty appealing. I woudn't go older than 2006, b/c I understand they added some safety features starting that year that I wouldn't want to be without. When I'm looking for a new car I think: 1) Reliability 2) Safety 3) Drivability 4) Comfort 5) Looks. I am thinking that it would be more economical for me to put some more miles on the CRV than to try and trade it in on a minivan and lose $$ in the process, am I right? I emailed a dealer a while back that had an '06 Oddyessy on the lot and they would never give me an estimated value for trade-in price, even though I gave them the specs. :confused:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
Who says minivans have to be boring? :D Its all that you make of them...

Seriously, the car mags say the Ody is the best-handling van. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts