Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't seem to find a inner tie rod tool to remove my inner tie rod on my 2002 CRV. Autozone, Advance loan a tool was too short (and too narrow) to accommodate the long shaft of the inner tie rod. Harbor freight has one that may work (looks long enough), but for $49.00, I will rarely use this.

I searched the forum and though someone must have ran into the same road block?
Note: The first generation CRV had a short shaft...2nd gen is about 20"
So, as today is Sunday...it looks like I will have to change the outer only, which is a total bummer!

Any help in where I can get a loan of this tool?

Thanks,
Kevin Shea
2002 Honda Crv EX 241k miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy the one from harbor freight and after done using it return it .say you didnt need it
I found out the harbor freight tool is still too short! Tie rod shaft is 22" long and tool is just 20". Strange that no other 2 gen CRV folks have this issue? Every website, You Tube and forums, I see folks are changing out tie rods with no problem with tool as their inner TR shafts are shorter. I have to return the Harbor Freight tool, but I'm still reaching out for folks who have changed out their 2 gen tie rods where they bought their tool?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What I found out...
I found some home made examples of a long pipe with four bolts at the end to grab the nut. At the ratchet end is a welded nut or a hole for a 1/2" ratchet. -For me, I'm not up to fabricating this ingenious make-shift tool.

In a Ford video, Techs used a ratchet, ratchet extension and a crowfoot wrench to crack the nut at the rack end. I'm thinking about ordering a jumbo set crowfoot wrench from Northern tools since it seems impossible to find a Jumbo set in retail stores...Sears, national auto parts stores and tool stores all turned-up empty!

I hate to spend more $$, but I think I can use this tool for other repairs in tight spaces.

Has anyone used this tool before on a similar project?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is it certain that you cannot swing a regular wrench on that inner rod by "steering" it out of the rack as much as possible?

And if a regular wrench fits poorly, a sharp toothed pipe wrench might serve, but with not much elegance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it certain that you cannot swing a regular wrench on that inner rod by "steering" it out of the rack as much as possible?

And if a regular wrench fits poorly, a sharp toothed pipe wrench might serve, but with not much elegance.
Great tip! However, I tried this and it doesn't move as much as you would hope. I'm going to try again in the morning, by removing the air cleaner assembly. I know what would work, but it is only half solution...I can cut the tie rod and then use the tie rod removal tool on the (now) shortened tie rod! However, what do I do to bring the replacement 22" shaft in to torque?

Thanks, I'll look for a suitable pipe wrench.

·
Registered
171 Posts
>>I have no hesitation about returning items that have failed or are somehow substandard. But I won't do the "use and return". <<

+1

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't seem to find a inner tie rod tool to remove my inner tie rod on my 2002 CRV. Autozone, Advance loan a tool was too short (and too narrow) to accommodate the long shaft of the inner tie rod. Harbor freight has one that may work (looks long enough), but for $49.00, I will rarely use this.
I bought the one from HF. The circumference is OK but it is still too short by around 6" or so. I kept it in case I need it for another vehicle in the future.

I'm with the earlier poster and do not have a welding rig so custom made tools aren't happening.

Has anyone located a tie rod tool that is actually long enough? Or is the crawfoot with ratchet the only way to go?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bump for good fortunes.

Looking for the correct tool / method for removing inner tie rod on Second Gen CRV (2002-2006). As OP wrote these tie rods are 20" long. I bought the Harbor Freight tool referenced up thread but it is not nearly long enough for our abnormally long inner tie rods. The HF (same as the Lilse on Amazon) won't fit.

What tools are second gen owners using to get these very long inner tie rods off?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are any Honda employees on here?

Will the factory service manual show the correct special tools (along with any special tool part numbers) for removing the inner tie rods on 2004 CR-V?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hoping other 2002-2004 CRV owners who have done this job will chime in. Looking to know what tools and methods you used to remove our inner tie rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2nd Gen CR-V inner tie rods

I just did it yesterday on my 2nd gen. I was searching for answers and found nothing.
This is how I did it:
If you look from the engine bay directly under where the inner tie rods bolt to the steering rack you'll see a heat shield that you have to remove.
Once you remove it you can use an adjustable wrench (or if you know what size they are you can use that (I didn't have a wrench to fit it)).
There are four 10mm bolts holding the heat shield on which have to be taken off from underneath (the bolt closest to the passenger side wheel well I found easier to access from the wheel well). Note: wear safety glasses under the car as there will be stuff falling when you're taking the bolts out.
Make sure when you put the new inner tie rods on that the washers are aligned correctly (I hand tightened them from the engine bay first to make sure they were seated properly). Once you fully tightened them from below you have to use a punch to bend the top of the washer edge toward the middle of the steering rack (I didn't have a punch, so I used the old inner tie rod as a punch).
When putting the heat shield back on, or any bolts you took out for that matter, I would suggest cleaning them with a wire brush and putting a little Liquid Wrench or WD-40 on them.
And that should be it!

I searched the forum and though someone must have ran into the same road block?
Note: The first generation CRV had a short shaft...2nd gen is about 20"
So, as today is Sunday...it looks like I will have to change the outer only, which is a total bummer!

Any help in where I can get a loan of this tool?

Thanks,
Kevin Shea
2002 Honda Crv EX 241k miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did it yesterday on my 2nd gen. I was searching for answers and found nothing.
This is how I did it:
If you look from the engine bay directly under where the inner tie rods bolt to the steering rack you'll see a heat shield that you have to remove.
Once you remove it you can use an adjustable wrench (or if you know what size they are you can use that (I didn't have a wrench to fit it)).
There are four 10mm bolts holding the heat shield on which have to be taken off from underneath (the bolt closest to the passenger side wheel well I found easier to access from the wheel well). Note: wear safety glasses under the car as there will be stuff falling when you're taking the bolts out.
Make sure when you put the new inner tie rods on that the washers are aligned correctly (I hand tightened them from the engine bay first to make sure they were seated properly). Once you fully tightened them from below you have to use a punch to bend the top of the washer edge toward the middle of the steering rack (I didn't have a punch, so I used the old inner tie rod as a punch).
When putting the heat shield back on, or any bolts you took out for that matter, I would suggest cleaning them with a wire brush and putting a little Liquid Wrench or WD-40 on them.
And that should be it!
How exactly did you unbend the lock washers? I'm also having trouble getting the four bolts off the heat shield because they are really rusted, but that's another issue...

·
Registered
3 Posts
How exactly did you unbend the lock washers? I'm also having trouble getting the four bolts off the heat shield because they are really rusted, but that's another issue...
I just put the adjustable wrench on the tie rod and it cranked right off. It will break the washers free. Try using some PB Blast on the rusted bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts