Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still getting used to the new CR-V. Frankly, I'm taking my time and getting used to the features and tech - and how to use them, or not, in real world driving. I'm hoping it may help others on the fence, or others may share things that they like/or not.

In no particular order:

1. In the main cubby behind the cupholders (under the sliding tray), I was hoping there would be a light. I had a USB cable plugged in, and when I flipped it down - I was surprised to find there actually was an interior light already. VERY dim, but it was there - a nice touch. When the jack covers were flipped up it actually hid the light...

2. No light in the glove box. Not a deal breaker. I actually bought a tiny motion detect light and velcro'd it to the top of the glovebox. Out of sight and actually works fine.

3. GPS. I actually like the Garmin interface. I wanted it for my wife who doesn't like to fiddle with a phone when driving (she's way smarter than me). I haven't used it for extended periods, and it hasn't driven me into a pond, but I actually prefer it to the Google Maps interface. Personal preference, though. I wish there was a Garmin app to save destinations and routes from other devices though!

4. Android Auto. Personally, I think this is a work in progress. I'm primarily using it for music. I find DoubleTwist to be the best app - because it seems to be the only one that allows me to save playlists and play them correctly (see my list, etc). I haven't tested a ton, and would like to hear other owners experiences with this. I like being able to use Google Assistant. I like having it, and again - I find the ability to use my playlists very nice.

5. UI skinning. Mixed reviews. I like the look, like that "some" of the features are now a click away, but find the underlying interfaces for, say audio, to be not as great as the native UI.

6. I like the ability to customize the buttons on the interface by drag and drop. It's still a primative UI (IMO), but I didn't think the interface would allow that level of touch interface, frankly.

7. Headlights. I went back and forth prior to purchase. I find the headlights on my Accord to be not great on rainy nights. I am really pleased by the brightness of the LED headlights - so far, but have yet to test them in a lot of adverse conditions. And I don't foresee changing them for years. The first night in our new car, we were driving in light rain - very dark stretch of highway. The car two vehicles in front hit a deer - and we NARROWLY missed the second deer. Don't know if halogens would have picked it up. Whew!

8. Backup camera. We have a 2013 Pilot, which I felt had a great camera, but I REALLY like the camera on the CR-V - very bright in all conditions - and seems to stay much CLEANER than the Pilot.

9. The rear seatbacks recline. Slightly, but it's nice.

10. Sound system. Frankly, I was shocked that Honda FINALLY rewarded owners with at least a nod towards a better sound system. It actually sounds pretty good - and distinctly better than our Accord and Pilot. Speaker upgrade coming, but the basics are there.

11. Side radar when backing up. Finally, and very useful. Especially for my high school and college drivers (who haven't been cleared to drive it yet). In fact, I really like all the safety features - as long as you get to know their uses and limitations (e.g. snow/rain/no lane markings). Haven't seen the coffee cup warn me yet, and I don't plan to "test" the active braking yet...

12. Adaptive Cruise control. I actually use CC a lot when I'm on long trips and always found it annoying that I had to constanly trim the speed to maintain my driving distance. I haven't used this much, but I really like his feature.

13. Hands-free tailgate. Not embarrassed to say I actually use it a lot!

14. I like the digital display. I thought I wasn't going to, but I especially the feedback from the Nav and audio in the main display. I can see this as being a real innovation for display information.

15. Sound dampening. Take the CVT out of the equation and it's very quiet. Yes, the CVT drones, but when you're not accelerating it is noticeably quiet. Quieter than our Pilot EX-L. I may still put some Dynomat in, but for now, I'm very pleased.

16. Overall, I'm blown away by how much they stuffed into a model redesign. Lot's of nice features that they could have held off until year two or three. Really pleased by virtually everything. One note is that the new tech takes a while to learn - and it can definitely be distracting. Even the push button start and non-mechanical parking brake are odd at first. Not as simple as the old Sentra with crank windows and a cassette deck! I suspect the RDX will be in for some major upgrades now as this is starting to cloud the boundaries a bit. Could not be happier with the features and driveability.

17. My kids love the dual charging (2.5v!) in the back.

18. Color. Molten Lava. OK so I'm a sucker for advertising. But in a sea of monochromatic cars, I love this color. It looks different in different lighting, and it was the only one at three dealers. I don't expect to see too many soon.

19. Key-free door unlock/lock. Actually really like this feature - no more scratches.

20. Finally, I actually bought a trunk liner online. When I went to put it in - my dealer had surprised me with one. Surpised and delighted (unless it was a mistake, haha).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Great list! I love #9 as I felt the same way. Makes a difference.

Molten Lava is very nice, I went for monochrome because I've only owned red and blue cars and was feeling like going neutral. White Diamond Pearl was too beautiful to pass up.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Good stuff. We are extremely happy with our purchase, your top 20 are just a few of the things I like about the 5th Gen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice fair and balanced review. I have no regrets trading my TLX for the CR-V.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This light looks like just the ticket. Thanks Zico. Good find. I'll be heading over to Home Depot in the morning. Might have to get one for the house, too.

Geoff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all honesty, I was referring more to my own driveway (past and present) grey, silver, and white. The red is a nice change - something that I haven't in a long time. I really like the paint jobs on ALL of the new CR-Vs. Up close, very nice pearl, deep, almost 3-D look. Blue was my wife's and oldest daughters favorite, the Lava was the choice of my daughter (and me).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back and forth - didn't really know if the LED's would be great. In the end, I settled on the Touring - and feel (at least in the conditions I've driven in), it appears to be significantly brighter. I bit "odd" at first as there is a very SHARP dropoff, but it is MUCH whiter and seems to illuminate the sides quite a bit more. Also - I was mixed at first with the auto high beams, and must say I like the feature a lot. It seems to work very well - at times, it comes on when I don't expect it to - but really needed it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few more "nice" surprises: I actually like that the interior door handles are illuminated, and I love the new roof rails (I have always admired the Audi's). All of these little things were unexpected. I'm used to the first-gen Hondas being a bit Spartan, inside and out, and the little trim and convenience features are added on in a few years. They really went all out to make this seem like a step-up in class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts