Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new around here and have a question about headliner cleaning. Everything I've found says it's a fragile headliner that can sag if cleaned incorrectly. The car was bought a few months ago and I have done everything in my power to clean the interior of the car. The smoke smell still lingers however. The only thing that hasn't been touched is the headliner. I'd really rather not pay the $500 for brand new headliner. I'd really truly appreciate some tips and tricks on what to use on the headliner to hopefully eradicate the lingering smoke smell without completely ruining it. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would spray it and the rest of the interior with Fabreze and put a few bricks of charcoal under the seats. It will take a little while but the smoke odor will go away. You will mess up the headliner by trying to clean it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had several small spots from over time that I wanted to clean. I had accumulated some handy wipes that you get when you eat out @ a BBQ restaurant. I could not believe what they did, not only did they clean the spots, there was no discoloring to the grey headliner and really very easy to do. It worked for me so good luck, JMHO.
David g.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would spray it and the rest of the interior with Fabreze and put a few bricks of charcoal under the seats. It will take a little while but the smoke odor will go away. You will mess up the headliner by trying to clean it.
As a small animal guy, Febreze is the second coming IMO !!! It is certainly worth a try. Try a small spot in a rear corner and make sure it doesn't adversely affect the color !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
776 Posts
As a small animal guy, Febreze is the second coming IMO !!! It is certainly worth a try. Try a small spot in a rear corner and make sure it doesn't adversely affect the color !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I would like to also suggest a cleaner called Simple Green. I have used this product in many places it works well. As what the other people is saying try a small spot 1st see if there is any discoloration. This product is Biodegradable & very effective. You can even spray it in your hand without any fear of bad effects. In regards about the Odor use this product. Its called Zeotrap. I have used this product with good results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKN3bypcT0

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Lots of good suggestions! My two cents worth.... I use Rug Doctor concentrate, mix accordingly into a hand pump spray bottle. Spray onto a clean cotton white terry towel and wipe the roof liner a portion at a time and immediately follow up wiping with another dry white cotton terry towel. You will be amazed at the soiling removed! Rug Doctor does not smell good, but it will clean great.
For the smoke smell I use OdoBan. It too comes in concentrate. For interior car use I spray the carpet lightly and then spray several paper towels and place them under the seats for a couple of days to remove odors. Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for the suggestions! I'll surely be trying these in hopes that it eliminates this unpleasant odor. I'm sure at least one of these products will solve this issue :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I forgot to mention, when cleaning with whatever product you choose, use a small amount of pressure with short back & forth strokes(front to back of headliner). When I finished the MATT pattern of the headliner was not disturbed, still looks new, of course my V has never been smoked in, it does make a difference. JMHO and again good luck.
David g.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
This would not remove smells, but here is what I do.

Our 2006's headliner gets dusty from running with the windows open. This grime is easily removed with a vacuum. To prevent 'lifting' the fuzzy fabric, use a crevice tool pressed at an angle against the fabric...the contact edge holds the fabric securely while the suction removes the grime (and hopefully, the smell).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts