Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I installed a new head unit and was using it without any problems. I decided that I would be cool to get in the car and turn on my stereo without the key put in the ignition. I understand that to do this it requires a constant source of power. I tried wiring it right into some of my interior fuses and found that I could not locate a source that was not completely necessary. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've done this with all my Civics and most recently my CR-V. It can definitely be useful depending on the situation. Keep in mind this is not the way they are meant to be wired, so there can be risks associated with doing it. Also, does your unit have a detachable faceplate? If not, I'd rethink wiring it up that way as you create quite the parasitic draw with the vehicle off, even if you have 'powered off' the stereo. If it is detachable, remove the faceplate when you're not in the vehicle (most still draw power when 'off' unless the faceplate is removed). With that in mind, if you'd like to go ahead, all you need to do is connect both the 12V constant and 12V ACC from the stereo to the 12V constant from the vehicle.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could rig up a 12v fused on/off switch and couple it to the existing power wire of headunit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts