Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Family! This is my first post.

I'm so worried about my poor CR-V.

I changed the spark plugs a few weeks ago because it was misfiring. That fixed that, and it runs great now, but the exhaust is very loud.

I'm worried that it's the catalytic converter (since it was misfiring and was probably dumping fuel into it) but I don't know for sure, because there seems to be so many other things also wrong with it.

I put a hose clamp around the heat shields because they were rattling VERY loud, and that fixed the worst of the noise! I just wanted to make sure that's OK... it's one of the photos I attached.

What I'm really questioning is my patch job on the 'B Pipe', also pictured. It's leaking exhaust out of all the rusty holes in it. I bought a crappy muffler patch kit, which wasn't quite enough. I covered the rustiest hole with metallic tape, encased the B pipe with aluminum, and fastened it nice and tight with metal strapping. I took it for a test drive (back to get more/better tape, aluminum and hose clamps).

The whole thing is rusted to hell. I know the REAL answer is that it needs to be replaced, but that's just not possible financially. And I really, really need this car running! I like to research, and fix things, but I'm a novice.

So, should I stop now because it's too stupid, or keep taping and clamping? :D

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum! If i were in your situation I would keep on taping & clamping. It looks like you did a decent job. If you would like you can buy more hose clamp preferably the stainless steel ones that will hold it better. I would suggest to wrap it on the B pipe.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My resonator rusted out where the pipe enters it so check that too. If that is your issue I doubt you will be able to do much about it though. The converter shields can be ripped off or clamped back. My rusted a whole through the top and blew the O2 sensor right out. Could be yours did similar and that is why clamping the covers helped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The hose clamps on the top Picture, could you please turn them a bit. The bolts are facing downwards, if you run over a dog or (god forbit) a child, they can do more damage than the rest of the vehicle.

And keep on taping and clamping, nothings wrong with it, i done it myself but some day i have to buy a new catalytic converter and the pipe before that. But please turn the clamps :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts