Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine w/o the roof rack and I'm thinking to get one but not sure why if I like the oem one .... what are my options here ? Not looking for the basket types lol ..... how about a pics of your racks ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice rack

Had an oem rack on my 1st cr-v, nice thing being that the rails run most of the length of the roof. You get a lot of rack for a little roof.

On my current cr-v, I decided to make use of some older square model Thule bars that I had.

I found that the specific footpack for 1st gen cr-v is no longer available from Thule.
I was able to find some new, in box, from the UK, on ebay.
Still might get a fairing sometime, but I like how the Thule rack looks & functions as is.
Last summer we used a paddle board rack on one side of it, and kayak j-racks on the other side.

rsz_20170117_110520.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I already had the bars.

I suspect if you wanted to put this together, you'd spend $150-$200.

Keep an eye on ebay though.

Here's the CR-V specific fit kit for the 480 footpack (which you need) $30/ actually $45 with shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-1102-Fitting-Kit-for-roof-rack-HONDA-CR-V-5-dr-SUV-97-01-/350551110063?hash=item519e7971af:m:m1TUZIYIzzIeubSkYLNcYjQ&vxp=mtr

Looks like the 480 footpack itself goes for around $150 on ebay.

And a set of 50" square bars you can find for maybe $40 or $50.

So, altogether, you can put together what I have above for maybe $230ish. That UK source for the fit kit saves a little over US pricing, packaging looks different but its the same 1102 kit.

It looks like Thule will sell you this entire package for $420. And then probably shipping on top of that.
If you are saavy, and search your local craigslist & classifieds, you may even get much of this set for cheaper. Good luck!

sidenote, this Thule setup is solid as heck. I think I'd trust it with a lot more load than the factory setup. I do like the look of the factory rails too. Could always fit Thule bars to the factory rails via different footpacks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bought the stock racks a few a days go ..just haven't got a chance to install it and I may modify a bit to make it more interteresting .. thinking to paint the rails to silver and leave the base in black to stand out more . ...what you think ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think if your rack is primarily for looks, why not?

If it's gonna get lots of use though, I'd think that any paint is going to scuff off on any contact points where you tie/strap/bungee things down.

Did you get the install instructions with it? You need to do some drilling, right?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I bought an OEM one off of Ebay. Bolts straight on.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes you will have to cut the channel trim. Also be very careful pulling it out as it is stainless steel and will bend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought what I think to be an oem roof rack for a 2000 Honda CR-V. It doesn’t have any mounting brackets and the feet of the rack don’t fit in the channel. Anyone come across this? Is there a mount to the bolts in the track I have to purchase? And if so, where?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I just bought what I think to be an oem roof rack for a 2000 Honda CR-V. It doesn’t have any mounting brackets and the feet of the rack don’t fit in the channel. Anyone come across this? Is there a mount to the bolts in the track I have to purchase? And if so, where?

This may help:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://honda-tech.com/forums/attachments/honda-element-cr-v-156/168953d1287546147-my-lowered-black-crv-roof-rack%5B1%5D.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj80Lr81PfcAhXMz4MKHTNHArsQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3NDAMr3QkRCwvyNvUqcqKf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts