Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently having an issue with the shift lock mechanism. I have researched this over the past couple days and nothing seems to be working. It's starting to aggravate me and I think I just need an fresh brain.

The issue - I can't shift out of park. The fuse under the hood keeps blowing

Corrective Actions - with the discovery of a 2011 thread on here (I can't post the link - I'm not at 5 yet) I dove into the fuses to see if any of them were blow. All fuses under the dash are fine. I then looked under the hood at the 15amp fuse for the "horn/stop". That seems to be the issue as it was blown. I swapped it out with a good fuse, started the car and proceeded to shift out of park. It worked, but only for about 2 minutes. The horn seems to beep after a min or so which I assume is blowing that fuse. I've gone through a handful of fuses so far and every time something seems to be overloading that fuse. I have no idea why the horn is beeping though. Every thread/information I've found seems to end with the fuses being the fix. I think there may be a short or something going on with the horn which is the main issue but I would like a second opinion as to where I should focus my attention.

I appreciate any assistance.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I believe that 15 amp fuse in fuse #52 in the under the hood fuse box.
It seems to supply power to the :
1)horn relay coil and the brake light switch by the brake pedal
2)cable reel (then horn switch) and the keyless power door lock control unit
3)when the horn switch is activated it then supplies power to the contacts in the horn relay and then to the horn.

Try removing the horn relay in the under the hood relay box. If that solves the problem, then the problem lies in the relay, the cable reel,the horn switch, the horn itself or any of the wiring after the horn relay or the keyless power door lock unit.
If removing that relay doesn't stop the problem, then it is either the brake light switch or the wiring between the fuse and the brake light switch or the wiring after the brake light switch.
Remove the connector to the brake light switch (near brake pedal) and if the fuse stops blowing, then the problem is either the brake light switch or the wiring past that point all the way to the brake light.
Best odds would be the brake light switch itself or a bad cable reel, or horn switch, in the steering column (horn beeping just before fuse blows).
Buffalo4
PS: I found a free dl of the 2000 crv service manual online but can't remember where. It has good info and diagrams in it. Do some searching online for that free manual in pdf form.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That 15 amp fuse also supplies power to other things, inc the trailer lighting connector.
1)horn relay
2)horns (via relay)(usually controlled by the horn switch in the steering wheel)
3)via brake switch
a)ABS control unit
b)brake lights
c)cruise control unit
d)ECM ('98-00 models: M/T)
e)high mount brake light
f)trailer lighting connector

So start with the horn relay removal (quick and easy to try).
Next would be the brake light switch.
Then trailer lighting connector.

Then ???
Buffalo4
PS: Other electrical items that aren't working? either before or after the fuse blows or previous electrical problems.
PPS: I believe your CRV has a manual unlock for the shift . Usually a key inserted into a slot (covered by a small plastic plug) on top of the steering column.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched though our owners manual but I also found the pdf version you're talking about during my search for answers. I didn't really get a lot out of them except where to find the slot to unlock the shifter.

I went back and checked a few things like you suggested. Everything worked up until the fuse blew. The one thing I never did check is the turn signals. I only stepped on the brakes while checking to see if they worked after replacing the fuse. At one point while going through it again on lunch I decided to take the turn signal relay (under the dash by the brake pedal) out. Once I did that I replaced the fuse under the hood with a good one and began to run through the systems. Everything worked properly, minus the turn signals of course, but the fuse held and I was able to shift out of park multiple times, the horn worked, brakes worked, everything was on point.

I am going to swing by and pick up another relay and install it hoping this is fixes the problem. I appreciate the help/info and I'll post up whether or not it works.

IMG_1865.jpg
pic 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I was actually talking about the Service Manual (33.5 MB ), not the Owners' Manual.
Well, it seems you are narrowing down the problem. Nice!!
At least you discovered the method on how to 'unlock' the shifter manually. :)
Nice clear pictures, btw.
If I can think of other possible solutions, I will post back.
Best of luck.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rog, I misunderstood. I will have to track that down then. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If I do come across the URL for that dl,I will post back.
Then again, I know you can find one for under $20 easily, and if you do a lot of work on it yourself, it is well worth having.
When you find the solution, please post back on what it is so that others, with the same problem, can be helped. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If you search around for "maxi fuse circuit breaker" you might be able to find a little circuit breaker you can put in there instead of a fuse. You can keep resetting it when it blows instead of wasting a bunch of fuses until you fix the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you search around for "maxi fuse circuit breaker" you might be able to find a little circuit breaker you can put in there instead of a fuse. You can keep resetting it when it blows instead of wasting a bunch of fuses until you fix the issue.
HOLY ****! That would have been super handy. Just ordered some haha, thanks for recommendation!

Try this location for a free manual: .... ]
No guarantees. Let me know if it is the one you need,
Buffalo4
PS: I tried to dl and save it and it worked. :)
It keeps giving me an error but I'm at work right now so I'll try again when I get home. Hopefully it works. If not I'll just keep searching for it. :)

I picked up a new turn signal relay and put it in last night. I fired her up, tested everything, and drove it around the block a few times. I would periodically stop and put it in park and it never gave me any trouble. My wife has been driving it around this morning and she said it hasn't given her any issues either so I am going to assume the turn signal relay was the problem!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I just tried that link again and successfully dl'd it to a saved folder and it opened just fine. Hopefully it will work for you.

Congrats on fixing the problem with the turn signal relay. Don't know how it caused the problem, but some of those circuits get tricky and backfeeding also happens when a circuit is looking for a 'ground' to complete its connection if it's normal one goes bad or disconnected.

Never heard about the circuit breaker fuses, so THANKS, Shryp !!! :D
I'll probably never buy them, but at least I know they are available.
One drawback is that most circuit breakers don't react as quickly as a fuse does to a short circuit or sudden super amperage draw.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 2000 CRV, except the horn did not beep before the circuit blew. I did as @Buffalo4 suggested & replaced the relay, that did not work so I would like to replace the brake light switch. Is there a thread or post I can refer to for directions?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Put brake light switch in the search box of this forum. It is a very easy and simple replacement.
It is located just where the brake pedal arm comes close to the dash or your foot.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem minus the horn beeping, I have replaced the horn relay & the brake light switch and it did not solve the problem. So I am on to the trailer connector, I have located it but what should I do now? Thank you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed something when I located the trailer connector (see pic), it looks like the crv has aftermarket speakers that might be causing the issue. And when I disconnected the speaker, and tried starting the car the fuse blew immediately upon start up instead of taking a few minutes. IMG_5702.jpg How do I diagnose this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts