·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - grateful for any advice possible.

2000 CR-V has developed a rattle in the following circumstances:

lifting-off accelerator - pretty much at any speeds
turning right

problem goes away if clutch is depressed, or throttle used.

Seems particularly worse downhill, but that could be result of engine braking (recent holiday in mountains).

Ok - recent work done - full exhaust....a new spring.....an upper arm

Car went into garage before holiday because the exhaust was shot......engine light on because the cat was kaput. Engine light still on, though garage says all tests confirm it is A-OK.

I'm planning to take it back to get them to look at it - but I want to go with an informed view in my mind.

Any ideas?

cheers

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I had a good look underneath this morning. I checked the exhaust system for any obvious rattles, looseness or touching/close proximity with anything. No issues were obvious. I had a bit of a push and pull at various parts of the suspension. Again, nothing obvious - though I guess that was only the most superficial of checks.

I'm wondering if it's a clutch/gearbox related issue?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Check engine light for the cat is usually triggered by one of the O2 sensors.
One of the most common causes of rattles like yours is the heat shield on the cat.
I would take another person (someone with good hearing) with you in the CRV and see if that person can pinpoint where the 'rattle' is coming from.
Sometimes a rattle can come from the disk brake area and a slight bending can fix it.
More info is needed overall, to get better responses, if you can find more.
For instance, is it an automatic? Is it AWD? Is it gasoline?, mileage? etc.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check engine light for the cat is usually triggered by one of the O2 sensors.
One of the most common causes of rattles like yours is the heat shield on the cat.
I would take another person (someone with good hearing) with you in the CRV and see if that person can pinpoint where the 'rattle' is coming from.
Sometimes a rattle can come from the disk brake area and a slight bending can fix it.
More info is needed overall, to get better responses, if you can find more.
For instance, is it an automatic? Is it AWD? Is it gasoline?, mileage? etc.
Buffalo4
hi there. Sorry - 5sp manual. 2000 (gen 1). Gas/Petrol. About 110k miles. Yes, it's AWD.

It's a new cat, and I checked the shield, and all seemed secure. It doesn't rattle on idle at all. Good idea to get someone else to have a listen. My wife often can't hear it while, at the same time, it is all I can hear!!!

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am new on this type of sites. Got a problem with my honda crv I was driving and I star hearing a rattling noice when I turn the ac on the nice will go for a wile and then come back after a little the car start having louder nice and smoke came out from the pulie side were the belts are also the a wentender from cold to room temp then I stop and when I try to star the car again and put it on drive the car start to shake and would not move . Any thoughs??

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Spell check definitely failed there.

But let's start with replacing the tensioner and accessory belt.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Shut off the AC and see if the CRV will move. You may have to remove the belt that is smoking to get the CRV to move. Something seized up on one of the belts (AC compressor, tensioner pulley, alternator etc) and that is causing the smoke and shudder, would be my best guess.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took car in for MOT test and the garage passed it subject to the replacement of a ball joint. Cost me £60.

Problem almost entirely eradicated. Drove home on a twisting country road and only once or twice provoked the slightest noise.....on the way to the garage it was becoming disconcerting (so you adopt an ultra-defensive driving style).

So, reasonably happy. especially happy that the car has another 1 yr ticket.

But still a tiny bit frustrated that I managed to provoke a very slight creak....

from a 16yr old barge (-;

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi EP, Do you know if it's the upper or lower ball joint you had replaced? I have a similar noise problem on my 1998. Thank's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts