Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I hosed off the engine compartment of my daughter's 2000 CRV. It ran horrible afterward, so I pulled the distributor cap off and blew the water out and also blew the water out of the spark plug holes. Now it runs fine until the coolant temp comes up to about 160-165 at which point the idle will slow down from 800 rpm to a near stall (charge light starts to flicker) and then it bounces back up to 800 again. The whole cycle takes about 10 seconds. My scanner shows the throttle at 9.8% the entire time this is happening, but does increase and decrease smoothly as I press and release the accelerator pedal with WOT at 91.6%. Because of this I had initially ruled out the TPS but then when the idle problem was happening, I disconnected the TPS and the idle immediately stabilized at 800. It seems to run ok with the TPS disconnected, although I'm sure this will cause other issues, not to mention the car won't pass emissions with the MIL on.

So can I safely assume this is a TPS problem or does disconnecting the TPS put the ECU into 'open loop' mode and mask problems elsewhere?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Without the TPS the car will go into safe mode. So you are correct it may or may not be the TPS sensor. I would drive the car for a week to dry all the water out. It is probably some water in a sensor or plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I've had this before on other vehicles but it always cleared up overnight so I was a little surprised to still be dealing with it.

This morning I warmed it up and drove it around and didn't have any problem but my daughter said it did it a few times while she was driving it this afternoon, so it seems to gradually be getting better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts