Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:
This afternoon my 2000 CRV (AWD and auto) stalled and died at red light shortly after leaving the market. Last week the rpm dropped at a stop sign but it didn't die therefore I didn't make much of it. An way, I tried to start it few time with no luck, I backed it up (fortunately the street had slight slope backward) to the corner of street, wait few minutes while I was figuring possible towing issues then I tried to try again and it fired back up!! It felt like an old flooded car or a car without gas! Any ideas? The car has 180,000 miles on it. Newer spark plugs, air filter and routine stuff. I have had the car for a year with no issues. When I bought it I changes all the oils, fluid filters and few gasket (intake, oil pan,..)
Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter on the r/side of the firewall ? Is your fuel pump building up pressure ? Turn on the key w/o starting and listen for the relay click @ the right seat area, that's when the fuel pump builds pressure. Good luck.
David g.....:clap:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys. This way actually one of my questions if these cars have a fuel filter since it felt the car ran out of fuel. I have not changed that (this is my first Honda ever). I will also check the regulator but if it was regulator, or igniter, I would assume it would not start again. I guess the same argument can go for the fuel filter as well.
Any other possibilities? This is our towed vehicle when we are RVing. I am glad it happened in the city. Wife won't be happy if that happens when we are out and about :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fuel filters don't cause a sudden 'no run' condition.
Huh?
I asked how many fuel filters they have, some vehicles also have one in the tank.

A blocked filter or fuel line can definitely cause fuel starvation and the vehicle to stall, actually the op's story sounds like that could potentially be something to look at and would explain why the vehicle would start a few mins later once sufficient fuel had dribbled though the blockage or the floating debris moved and let fuel through.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
Didn't mean to be harsh Peanut, but a clogged fuel filter would have first made itself known during high-load conditions in my experience.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Didn't mean to be harsh Peanut, but a clogged fuel filter would have first made itself known during high-load conditions in my experience.
Who knows what the nature of the blockage could be, it could be intermittent. I have experienced a semi blocked fuel line that eventually made the vehicle stall, it seemed to have less power just before it would stall because it started running lean but I only put 2 and 2 together once I discovered the blocked fuel line.

Just one angle to consider.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Peanut, AFAIK, that yr CRV only has one fuel filter and it is mounted on the passenger side firewall.

I had a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero which would start jerking while cruising at around 20-30 mph acting like it was running out of gas, so I would downshift and then go full throttle and it reacted just fine, but when I again just tried holding a lower speed , and rpm, it would start acting up.
I thought under full throttle and high rpms, if it was the fuel filter, it would not get enough gas flow. Made sense to me, but a mechanic said those symptoms were indicative of a clogged fuel filter.
Bought a new fuel filter (it is mounted under the vehicle near the rear) and put it on his hoist and it was all corroded etc and didn't come out too easily, and installed the new one. That stopped those symptoms. I would have bet money that it wasn't the fuel filter because it worked just fine under high rpm and full throttle.

In my friends 2000 CRV, his CRV would start fine but sometimes die when you made a stop, etc. Then it would start again and drive fine. But, when stopping, every once in a while it would die again.
After several days of this, i was driving it and stopped after getting off a short stretch of interstate, it again died and would not start. I was only about 2 blocks from my condo, so I walked home and bot my Montero and towed it home to the parking lot.
It was the igniter inside the distributor. When igniters fail, it is usually when they start getting hot. Ignition coils that are weak, will usually show symptoms of hard starting but run fine after the engine is started and warmed up slightly.
Buffalo4
PS: So my guess for HRDWRK would be the igniter.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 1998 5-speed AWD for 8 years and almost 200,000 miles that I have put on it. I've had every issue possible where it feels like it's going to die or does stall out.
Throttle position sensor: stall at lights, random occasional hesitation or even jerkiness as though you don't know how to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal. Almost like it's starving for fuel but it's so random, engine light comes on and goes off before you can check it. Part that holds the connector on mine broke. It's on the back of the intake passenger side.

Fuel pump: also almost felt like clogged filter, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Changed filter, relay, checked my fuel injectors, throttle body. Everyone I said kept telling me fuel pumps just go they don't give warning. Guess what? They do of you pay attention. The fuel pump motor is only about $20 and a pain to change over the rest of the parts attached to it, but saves A LOT of money over buying the entire unit.

My guess is fuel pump.
If you're getting fuel pressure it could also be cool pack in the distributor, but before you just buy a coil pack take the old one off and check the distributor wires. I just replaced my distributor 2 years ago. Thought it was just the coil pack again and couldn't return the open coil pack once I realized the distributor wiring was bad. Worn wiring inside distributor usually makes it run rough, stall out, when engine warms up. When it cools down, fires right up.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Gen 1 CRV's had a problem with the ignition switch, in the UK it was a factory saftey recall. i had the same problem a couple of years ago once i changed the switch it was ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts