Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda CRV with an exhaust rattle between the catalytic converter and resonator. Rattle can be heard while driving slow and at idle. Checked under vehicle with engine running and while off. It's definitely not coming from the heat sheilds. I gently knocked on the pipe where the loudest rattle was coming from (near the resonator) with the engine shut off and could hear a rattle that sounds like maybe a piece of metal or broken cat material is in there bouncing around. After a google search, it sounds like Honda used a double wall exhaust pipe and the inner and outer pipes are hitting each other. I've never heard of that, so I'm a bit skeptical unless someone else here has personally encountered this as well. Apparently, the fix is to drill thru the outer and weld it to the inner so they are not free to move or vibrate against each other. The rattle is just loud enough to be annoying. The connections are welded, not clamped, so there's no way for me to easily inspect inside. Can someone tell me if this is the wrong diagnosis? If the double wall sounds like the cluprit, then is the method above the best way to cure it, or is there another way to go about it? Any idea how much i should pay a muffler shop?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you are sure that the double wall pipe is broken, then get some 1" stainless steel metal screws, somewhere around #8 and drill a hole smaller than the screw diameter and just put the screw in, this will hold the two pipes together at the screw point. Understand that where you drill a hole will also be a point of rust / corrosion so the pipe will eventually rust through, you are just prolonging the use of the pipe.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd think about drilling a small hole in both pipes for a sheet metal screw pilot. Then I'd get a sheet metal screw and some JB Weld. I'd coat the screw with the JB Weld and screw the two pipes together. Might work. Cheaper than a muffler shop.

Just a suggestion from the cheap seats out west.

Sorry, I just got up so typed a little slower than bchan....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are sure that the double wall pipe is broken, then get some 1" stainless steel metal screws, somewhere around #8 and drill a hole smaller than the screw diameter and just put the screw in, this will hold the two pipes together at the screw point. Understand that where you drill a hole will also be a point of rust / corrosion so the pipe will eventually rust through, you are just prolonging the use of the pipe.
I'd think about drilling a small hole in both pipes for a sheet metal screw pilot. Then I'd get a sheet metal screw and some JB Weld. I'd coat the screw with the JB Weld and screw the two pipes together. Might work. Cheaper than a muffler shop.

Just a suggestion from the cheap seats out west.

Sorry, I just got up so typed a little slower than bchan....
Thanks guys, I didn't want to make holes in my exhaust without getting some opinions first. Yes, I'm looking for the cheapest long-term fix. I guess my plan at this point is to drill a small hole just thru the outer pipe, poke around in there to see if the inner pipe is loose at all. If it is loose, then I'll use pull the inside pipe tight to the outside pipe using a sheet metal screw. If that fixes it, then I'll take it over to a muffler shop to see if they can tack the inner pipe to the outer one for a permanent solution because I don't want to mess with this again or deal with exhaust leaks in the future due to corrosion. If it's not loose, then I'm guessing something is bouncing inside the pipe. Either way, I'll reply and post pics once I get in there.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I can confirm this double wall pipe problem. I had to have my converter replaced at a muffler shop because the top of it rusted out and it spit the O2 sensor out. I while later I had my car at a different shop for an unrelated thing and they told me the converter was broken and causing a rattle. I took it back to the muffler shop since it was still under warranty and they torched 2 holes through the pipe front and back and then welded the inner and outer pipes together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can confirm this double wall pipe problem. I had to have my converter replaced at a muffler shop because the top of it rusted out and it spit the O2 sensor out. I while later I had my car at a different shop for an unrelated thing and they told me the converter was broken and causing a rattle. I took it back to the muffler shop since it was still under warranty and they torched 2 holes through the pipe front and back and then welded the inner and outer pipes together.
Thanks, this makes me feel less stupid and adds strength to my suspicions as to what is most likely causing the problem. Rattle caused by the inner pipe isn't covered very well elsewhere, so I might post a DIY with pics if that's the issue here. Gotta wait until it stops raining before I can take another look at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts