Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i bought this green 2000 Honda CRV LX 4 speed AT back in the summer. Since then i had the timing valve done, oil changed, new plugs and new plugs wire (NGK), new stable rear bar links and new headlights.

Now the problem started last week and its getting cold around here in PEI.. when i start it up, after about 15 sec warming up.. it start to fluctuate the revs, and when i tried to rev it up.. it won't rev pass 4k rpm like its boggs down back.. what's up with that? Oh by the way, when i try to drive it to warm it up on the road say like after 15 mins of driving.. no more fluctuating revs but still won't rev pass 4k rpm still.. so what is going on?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. Pretty easy to do yourself. Search for how to do it. You do not need to disconnect the coolant hoses attached to it. I did it on a friend's 2000 CRV. That should help the idle fluctuation.
Did you have the valve clearance adjusted or the timing belt replaced, or both.

The copper NGK v-plugs seem to work great in that yr CRV.
Check for condition of rotor and distributor cap.

Did you have any problems before you did the aforementioned work?

Any engine codes earlier or now?

Try Googling for the 4000rpm limit.

One hit was the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).
Found it at this site: http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/my-2-2l-vtec-will-not-rev-above-4000-rpm-2981341/

Buffalo4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys, i just did the IAC cleaning.. no diff at all.. i even changed the thermostat.. nothing so for, there's still loss of power or rev limiter still present... i'm guessing an vacuum air leak somewhere or fuel pump problem??? help!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed there's no fluctuating rev present after i changed the thermostat.. so that's one problem solved. But it still won't rev pass 4.5k rpm.. its like its struggling to get past the mark... you can feel it, what is causing it ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just noticed there's no fluctuating rev present after i changed the thermostat.. so that's one problem solved. But it still won't rev pass 4.5k rpm.. its like its struggling to get past the mark... you can feel it, what is causing it ?
I suppose an ignition timing light is almost obsolete these days, but If you can, check to see if the ignition timing is advancing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys its me again... i found the problem.. the catalytic converter is plugged!! I couldn't believe it.. I brought my crv to the dealership and they found it.. so the solution was to cut off the front of it.. and i regained power and such. Wow i couldn't believe how much power has been restored!

Thanks guys for the help. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts