Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the driver's side door . content://media/external/file/5826There are 4 broken wires but I don't know which slots they go back into. Can I replace this harness? Is that something I can buy?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
There are a few write ups around here of people taking a small screwdriver to unclip the metal taps to pull the other end of the wire out of the socket and resoldering them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would try to remove what's left of the broken wire and pin ONE @ a time to keep track where they go. Hopefully there's enough wire to match it up. The pin's are not that hard to remove if you got something like a small ice pick. You can buy a special tool made for removing the pin's @ most major auto parts stores. Good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In case you need it, there Service Manual for your year is available here in PDF format. Check chapter 23 around 23-123 for door wiring. Door mechanical for trim disassembly is around 20-2.

As mentioned, you can usually pull the pins out with an icepick or awl type tool. But because the wires have broken off the ends of the pins, I usually cut the other side and solder then heat shrink the wire from the other side, because it is difficult to reattach the broken pin back on to the wire and have it fit back into the connector. The color is usually the same on both sides.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem is that the wires are broken at the pins and I don't know which wire goes in which slot. I guess ill try taking the door panel off and looking at the other side where it plugs into the door

·
Registered
21 Posts
oh man that's a bummer!

I fixed the same harness just last week after the driver's window stopped going down. Luckily it was just one wire for me that I had to fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's almost impossible to get those pins out without destroying them or the casing. Maybe it's just me but it took me an hour to get one out and then I destroyed the other one. I have looked but can't find a replacement. If knew what that harness was actually called it may help in finding one. Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Theoretically you shouldn't need the harness. You could probably splice the broken wires directly together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that was gonna be my move but I found one this evening at a junk yard. It is a 98 so I need you fellas to confirm that it will work on my 2000.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you checked how the harness is installed (ie is it just inside the door or is it the one that feeds the door through the body)? Reason I ask is that you may find it's easier to repair the broken one that trying to replace it if the harness runs all over the place through tight spaces requiring removal of all kinds of trim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the harness that feeds through the body. But I have found a harness at the salvage yard and I'm going to cut it where it comes out of the body and splice all the wires together and heat shrink them right there so I will still have pigtail to plug into my door harness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well as bad luck would have it the harness at the junkyard had some broken pins also so I'm back to square one...Curse word curse word!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Well, maybe you can use that harness from the junkyard to get the wire colors and use it to practice your repair technique.
Buffalo4

1 - 17 of 17 Posts