Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 CRV (I can't remember the model exactly and am not near it at the moment, but it's 2WD) that suffered a minor collision today. The right front corner of the bumper is a little scraped and the headlight cover is shattered, but the light is still functional. I successfully drove it to the side of the road and turned it off, and 20 minutes later it wouldn't turn on again. The lights still work and the gears still shift, but it just makes few clicks and doesn't turn over when I try to start it.

If you have any suggestions about what might be wrong with it, I would love to hear them! I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, but as many opinions as possible are more than welcome. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Where is the battery located in that MY?
The collision may have shaken the battery enough to short it out inside

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is right behind the damage, so that's very possible. But would the lights still turn on with the battery shorted?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I believe it could power them but might not have the power to crank it. Kind of like when you have a bad cell in the battery, it'll turn the lights on but won't crank the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I hope so. A battery would be a comparatively inexpensive fix. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Could probably try jumping it to see. Also check on the ground cables and the wire going to the starter. There are a few wires right there as well. There is also a fuse box by the battery.

While looking around look down at the starter and see if the bare metal wire still goes between the solenoid and the main starter motor. Those decay as they get old and there have been several reports of non start issues because of it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They don't make 'em like they used to.

My childhood friend rolled his 1964 Beetle. It righted itself and he drove away. Some paint scratches, but it continued to start as always. Even with just 6V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@WDHewson Wow. Remind me to get a Beetle next.

It turns out this one was my fault though, not my car's. The battery died while I was trading insurance information and I didn't even think to try jumping it until later. Thanks so much for the help, all!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It could also be as simple that the jolt slightly loosened one of the battery cable connectors on one of the battery posts.
Buffalo4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts