Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I'm having a problem with my 2000 CRV. It began overheating out of nowhere. I found a cracked hose so I replaced it, assuming that was the problem. A few miles later it overheated again. Long story short, I've since replaced the thermostat and the radiator fan switch (located in the thermostat housing). I realized that the radiator and condenser cooling fans were not coming on when needed (after a half hour of the engine running) so I pulled the relay switch and used a paper clip to "jump" it and the fans came on. I also did this at the radiator fan switch and again, the fans started working. I have checked all of the fuses under my dash and under the hood that are related to the cooling system and they are fine. I'm at a loss! I was thinking maybe the water pump may be bad??? Maybe the water isn't being circulated and therefore not reaching the radiator fan switch to activate the cooling fans??? Also...a/c does not work so it is not a factor. Ugggh! This is driving me nuts. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
If you can do not drive the vehicle like this as constant overheating will destroy the engine. Was anything done before this happened? After replacing the hose did you burp the system? What hose did you replace? When you turn on the a/c button does the fan comes on? Let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing was done before the engine began overheating. There was a small crack in the upper radiator hose which was replaced. The a/c has not worked in the 2 years that I have owned the vehicle and there have been no past issues regarding overheating.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Warm up the engine with the radiator cap is off. When the engine is at operating temperature & you know that the thermostat has opened check the upper & lower radiator hose if they are both warm or hot, but not one of them cold. Check & see at the open filler hole on top of the radiator see if the coolant is circulating. When you replace the thermostat did you replaced back the electrical eye ground connectors? Here is a link to a pic. http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/w4660OXzoeo/maxresdefault.jpg

Also check the sensors on this diagram items # 11 & 12 for proper operation?
Here is the link. http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...elID=-1&sectionID=1&idAndImageID=2430 1471479

Did you replaced the sensor in the radiator with an OEM one? Let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I let the car idle with the radiator cap off, the coolant eventually boils out of the top. That leads me to believe that it's not circulating but...I could be wrong. If the coolant was not circulating for whatever reason, would that prohibit the fans from being activated? Also, the sensor I replaced was in the housing of the thermostat, not the radiator.

·
Registered
901 Posts
First do a headgasket test, then do the timing belt/waterpump, new radiator, new top/bottom radiator hose, new thermostat, adjust valves. I see you do not have AC so you are on a budget.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
What does your temp gauge read when it appears to be overheating?
Are both the upper and lower hoses hot when the engine is warmed up?
When you start the crv and let it idle with the radiator cap off, can you see movement of the coolant when the thermostat opens?
Do you see a lot of bubbles when it is warmed up? (indicates exhaust in the coolant)
Fans should activate regardless of coolant circulation, unless there is an air pocket next to the sensors.
Fans should operate even with a clogged radiator.
The ac rad fan should turn when the ac is turned on, even if the ac is not functional. Make sure the fuse for the ac is good.
Perhaps there is a fuse for the relays themselves, which could be a different one for then fans they control. BUT:
Since the fan worked when you jumpered the pins that the relay controls, that would indicate the fan fuse is good.
Since the fan worked when you jumpered the temp switch and it worked 'through' the relay, that indicates the fuse that controls the relay(s) was also good.
So, I would think that either there is no or inadequate coolant circulation (water pump, obstructed hose(s),bad thermostat,even though it is new,plugged passages in the engine block, or a bad air pocket), or there is a gaseous leak into the coolant, head gasket , etc.
Does the crv lose coolant?
Hose temps both hot?
Bubbles in coolant?
Movement of coolant observed when engine is warm, radiator cap is off, when sighting down through filler neck?
More info is needed.
Buffalo4
PS: Read up on how to bleed the coolant system. You could also try taking out the thermostat completely and leaving it out for testing purposes. Put the thermostat in a pan of water and bring it to a boil, it should be fully open before boiling temp is reached. Failed water pump is not out of the question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts