Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a crv that pretty new to me. I just bought it and i'm preparing it for a winter vehicle for my misses. I changed the transmission fluid and rear end fluid with the recommended Honda fluids. I changed the timing belt and water pump for good measure as the car has 141k miles. new o2 sensor and oil pressure sending unit to get rid of an oil leak and increase mileage.

Now, I drove this car about 50 miles when i bought it and all was well, but I did not take it anywhere for the 4wd to kick in. the rear diff fluid was dark but clear(used Dual pump), no metal in it or the transmission.

The crv has a distinct rubbing noise coming from the middle of the vehicle only when 4wd starts to engage. t goes away after about 4 seconds, the 4wd definitely works.

couple questions:

does the center drive shaft rotate all the time on the crv? ( possible I have a dry u joint and when the shaft starts spinning makes the noise?)

what is inside the transmission that makes the 4wd actuate?

thanks for any replies, I will be doing some testing in the next week or so, the honda is on the back burner as my drag vehicle blew a head gasket.. love this crv though goes right throught the deep sand I was testing in! :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The drive shaft is always rotating. There are 2 hydraulic pumps in the rear differential. One is driven by the drive shaft and one is driven by the rear axles. When the 2 pumps have different pressures they close the clutches which activate the rear wheels. Basically if the front wheels start spinning faster than the back wheels the rear wheel drive is activated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for the info.
the noise sounded like it was up front, but maybe not. pretty much a whrrrrrrr noise going away quickly and happening on straight hard acceleration.

i have not burnished it yet as i have been reading so maybe i will do that and another fluid change

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I drove it more today. I did circles left and right with zero noise, opened it up and got the 4wd kicking in and it still makes the rubbing noise.

not really sure whats next. either ill leave it or do another fluid swap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well havnt checked back on here recently, in that time i purchased another crv. this crv has the same exact rubbing noise as my first one. otto888man i have visually inspected thema dn the look great. the noise is only when front wheel spin occurs. the driveshaft is spinning all the time so im suspecting its not the carrier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
next step im going to put it up on all four corners and listen from under. im almost certain it has to be the coupling in the rear end. almost sounds dry. blew my mind when the crv i just bought made the same noise :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
happy to report i finally got the issue resolved. it took another set of circles 10 times each way until i finally heard a chirp form the rear end, after that the noise is gone. i changed the fluid again after that and she should be good for a while. mind you i had already tried the burnishing procedure before with about 8 turns each way. i think the fluid was original and while it wasn't very dirty must have been stubborn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after the issue being gone for a little while it has returned. kind of baffled and starting to thinks its just lack of use. did 2 oil changes and burnished 3 times. once the snow hits and the awd is active more ill report back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts