Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commuting 100miles per day round trip. Bought the car 2 days ago. T-case whining pretty loudly and making that "bad bearing noise" between 4-10mph.
Found a replacement but cannot afford it till a few more paychecks come in as rent is due, etc.

My question is: How long can the bad t-case be driven on and will anything catastrophic happen if driven on for too long?
I can replace it in a few weeks. But that's about 1500miles out.
New to owning an awd vehicle.
Used to frw, rwd or 4x4.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
"T-case" as in transmission? Have you checked the fluid level in your transmission?
And do you have any maintenance records?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transfer case
Transmission shifts n drives just fine.
I could try topping off the transfer case though I suppose before I get too crazy.
I'm 100% certain that the transfer case has a bad bearing or two though.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Do you mean the rear differential?

I don't think the CR-V has a separate transfer case, at least not like a traditional 4x4.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
That 'transfer case' is part of the transaxle assembly at the front of the car, and I believe it is lubricated with the transmission's fluid. Is that where your nose is coming from? I haven't heard of one going bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts