Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys! I have a 2000 Honda CRV and it recently started vibrating between the speeds of 20 and 30 mph. Before and after those speeds, it drives just fine! I rotated the tires myself to see if that would help and it's just as bad if not worse now. Any suggestions??? Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would suggest that you get the tires balanced.

You probably lost a weight from a tire that caused the vibration at low speed, when you rotated the tires the balance issue remained, it was just in a different spot and the vibration remained.

Other issues could include a damaged rim - have you hit any big potholes recently?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2003 AWD CRV (I forget what code Honda uses to denote that model) has had this issue for about a year. In my case I noticed it after getting a brand new set of Bridgestones at Costco. Tires where stock size on the stock Honda 5 spoke aluminum rims that come with this car. My vibes happened at 35 to 45 MPH, depending on the air pressure in the tire. At about 26 psi the vibe was at the slower speed, at 35 psi the vibration was at about 45 mph. In my case it was a pronounced amount of vibration if the car was driven through that speed slowly, if the car was powered through it as in a freeway on ramp type acceleration then the vibe was pretty much non existent on the way to a faster seed. I had the tires rebalanced by Costco, then Discount Tire, then Sears and finally by a small shop in Phoenix that had a force balance machine. I had the car aligned, I had the tires rotated. I rebuilt the front end with new struts (found the right one had started to leak) new control arm bushings, new brakes and rotors and new tie rod ends. All of these fixes / changes would have the result of making the problem go away for a few hours or days then it would come back.
I took the tires back to Costco because the force balance revealed that at least one tire had issues they considered bad but not horrible. We bought a new set of Michelin's with the 90k mile warranty and finally the problem seems to have diminished, but it hasn't gone away. I have also bought the Honda wrench and adjusted the steering rack free play just recently and am finally at a point where we are giving up. The vibe is finally at a low point that is acceptable.
My next step might be replacing the steering rack. If I raise the car and wiggle the wheels back and forth (left and right) I can see a slight amount of movement at the place where the tie rods come together at the rack, and I mean slight. Trying to figure out if that is standard or mileage induced and if I want to spend money on a steering rack, if I remember correctly Honda wants a major chunk of money for that!
By the way, the dealer has no helpful clue. They asked about transmission fluid and I told them I replaced it at about 75K. Maybe I'll replace it again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '04 has a vibration between 0-40kmph.I have replaced driver side axle, all brakes, wheels, tires, removed the property shaft - all with no impact. Took it to Honda, they couldn't find the problem. It has never got better or worse- been this way since '09. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have a AWD, check your driveshaft. You can balance your tires many times, change rims and it will do nothing. That's what happened to me. Vibration at 40 and gets worse as speed goes higher. Couldn't isolate the problem. Balanced the tires several times. Even changed a rim. still vibration.

I finally got the car up on jack stands and check the drive shaft. Specifically the U-joints. You will need to rotate the shaft to check it properly. Make sure you get a nice flashlight so it will be illuminated properly. You will need to see if you can wiggle the U-joint if you can't see anything wrong with it. Also check both ends, front and back U-joints. either can break.

You need to do it as soon as possible because the damaged U-joint can damage your differential or worse, if the damage is up front, it an damage your transmission.

Fiddler

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, guys! I have a 2000 Honda CRV and it recently started vibrating between the speeds of 20 and 30 mph. Before and after those speeds, it drives just fine! I rotated the tires myself to see if that would help and it's just as bad if not worse now. Any suggestions???

It is the vibration dampener mount on your differential... I just went through my whole car replacing everything I saw suggested on this forum and noticed the mount on top of the differential had a small rip in it so being a little anal about everything on my car I decided to replace it and the vibration is gone... Had to cut the bolt out with a Sawzall but I bought a new grade 8 7/16 Bolt and it's good as new... I can't believe I finally figured it out!!!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Hey, guys! I have a 2000 Honda CRV and it recently started vibrating between the speeds of 20 and 30 mph. Before and after those speeds, it drives just fine! I rotated the tires myself to see if that would help and it's just as bad if not worse now. Any suggestions???

It is the vibration dampener mount on your differential... I just went through my whole car replacing everything I saw suggested on this forum and noticed the mount on top of the differential had a small rip in it so being a little anal about everything on my car I decided to replace it and the vibration is gone... Had to cut the bolt out with a Sawzall but I bought a new grade 8 7/16 Bolt and it's good as new... I can't believe I finally figured it out!!!
Thanks for that excellent and helpful post. :)
That sure could help others with the same problem.
Buffalo4 :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2006 AWD about a week ago. Noticed the same thing at 45 mph. I did a bunch of research and transmission seems to be most common answer. I changed the transmission fluid and the rear differential fluid. Just did it today. Problem was intermittent so I will have to drive for a couple of days to see if any results. But, I do have a friend who is a 20 yr Honda mechanic. He said in this limited case (the transmission). you really need to use honda fluids. He said all of the others will not work correctly and they could harm the expensive transmission. This is not the type of guy to just spout the party line so I did as he said. 3 quarts of transmission fluid, 2 quarts of differential fluid, new crush washer and new drain plug washer all at dealer was $59.00. Hopefully this will solve the problem, otherwise next step is the dampener. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,

Guys, at the end, I have weeks reading and looking for information about the issue.

My 2003, 260k miles CR-V presents a insanely shaking in the front end when the speed is between 40-60 mph and intensifies when higher torque is applied.

After reading and consulting I believe this might the torque converter clutch assembly goes faulty and a mechanical disengage is intermittent.

Credits to: https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/torque-converter/

The thing here is that we are talking about removing the transmission and I consider myself a respectful hobby mechanic not to mess with it, but I'm crazy to try it.

Any insight guys? have any of you tried to replace the torque converter? aside from removing the lower frame, what surprises could I expect?

Other question, does it sound possible that this is the cause? have you guys experience it before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.