Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a decent shape, 2000 CRV that starts and runs great, goes into drive and reverse easily, but they told me after a few minutes of driving, it feels like it throws itself into neutral. They shut it off, restart and it will go again. They replaced most tranny sensors and what not and it doesn't help. The CRV has just 150,000 miles.

Asking 1200.00 I got it down to 900.00, but wondering if that transmission might be an easy fix? Anyone have any ideas they could shoot to me?

It has some rust, nothing big, looks good and looks solid. They say it drives down the road good, minus the tranny problem.Interior is nice shape...and it's an LX model.

If anyone has an idea why that transmission does that, please reply....thanks so much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. they changed the radiator....problem seemed to have started after that....or so it seems.... Air in transmission line perhaps?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Check the clarity, smell and color of the AT fluid. There is a screen in the AT sump that can get clogged up with 'debris' and it will do what you are experiencing.
Stuff gets sucked into it when it it warms up, the flow slows down. Shut it off for a while, and the 'stuff' drops down.
Perhaps, changing the fluid multiple times might help. I would recommend doing 4 drain and fills of the ATF using Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf, with driving in between to see if it helps. It is available at Walmart for around $18 a gal and it takes around 3-3 1/2 qts per drain and fill. It is very easy to change the atf, and if you do at least 3 drain and fills, the cost is only around $50.

To get to that screen involves removing the tranny. If clogging the screen is the problem, then there is probably so much stuff that came off the clutches that the tranny needs to be rebuilt.

Hopefully someone else will come up with other possibilities that are more positive.

Buffalo4

PS:The 2000 CRV 4WD was a great Honda. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I offered 650 and stuck to it, no take.

If they contact me later on and sell it to me for 650, then I'll be getting a good engine(runs real strong) a nice shape tailgate, fender and hood(my CRV needs these) and a same color interior as my current CRV that I can steal from.

650 is my magic price, hopefully they'll give in and sell it to me.

I don't feel like tranny dropping to clean a screen....and if it's that dirty, then that tranny must be tore up inside anyways. It was probably owned by a kid at some time that drove the piss out of it.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Probably didn't have the ATF changed a lot. But back then, it didn't seem to be a big problem.
Best of luck.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I offered 700 and they said no lower than 900. I didn't buy it, since the tranny is questionable. If it didn't have a tranny problem I would of payed 900 all day long, because other than the tranny issue, it is positively a road ready CRV with an immaculate interior and strong engine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Your in an area that you have to consider it needs a transmission. Being a 2000, you can part it out for some good $$. If it has a rear curtain as well as the jack tool pouch, I'm interested. I don't need the jack, I just need the lug wrench and pouch. Good luck and PM if necessary.
David g.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 97 crv is doing the same thing. where exactly is this screen located and how hard is it to change the clutch packs

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
My 97 crv is doing the same thing. where exactly is this screen located and how hard is it to change the clutch packs
You would be advised to start a new post and explain your problems. I think you should post it in the Problems and Issues Forum
Also check the links below this post under the Similar Threads header.
Buffalo4
PS: The post you replied under is over 2 1/2 yrs old.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If your asking this question you do not have the skills/knowledge or tools to do it. Not to negative towards you but if the question has to be asked on a forum the only thing you will accomplish is destroying the transmission because there is 100 other parts to deal with, you don't just clean the screen and you cannot just replace clutch packs, you have to rebuild them along with the rest of the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts