Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
already changed thermo/sensor but temp gauge randomly going past 50% (e.g., idling).

Not pulling anything.

What's next? Fan?

Vehicle is smooth running.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are the spikes frequent or just random here and there? When it goes past does it drop quickly or stay there and keep climbing? You should be hearing the fan come on if it is going past the half way point.

Are you sure you don't have any air in the system? This is a big culprit of random temp spikes. With the engine on a flat surface and completely cold, the fluid should be at the very top of your radiator. If it is below the fins then you have air in the system. Fill the radiator not the overflow bottle.

If you are sure there is no air then check to make sure the fan is coming on when it is suppose to. It is hard without an actual temp gauge that reads in numbers but it should be coming on before your temp gauge hits the half way point.

Also, is the fan even working?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spikes are infrequent. They happened today early in the morning at low speed and never happened rest of the day.

It went from 50% to 80% to 90% and then dropped.

Radiator fluid was refilled so it should be OK. Let me double check the fan next time it's idle and gauge went up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 more thing...I think the fans were changed around 125/130K mileage. Had similar symptom...random temp spike. Was also very hard to pinpoint.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,176 Posts
Just so that nothing is ASSUMED...

Was it doing that before you replaced the T-stat?

Is the new one a Honda t-stat or aftermarket? Many of the aftermarket ones will make your engine run hot (but, because the gauge is dampened, it would only shoot up if it got to a certain temperature).

EDIT

I see you posted the same issue last July.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was the fan. One of the two fans worked intermittently.

Problem in January: it went away and reappeared.

I had the same problem happen when the mileage was just over 100K.

I've had generic thermostat several times. Thanks for all the help, guys.

It looks like moving parts like fan tend to break down more often than non-moving parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, im working now to solve a temp issue in mine(2000).
I never had seen only 1 fan working, always 2 even when swtiching A/C start automatically 2 fans.
I have like you a period of time without any issue and then again.
Nexts day i will perform Flush and change Temp Sensor,

Do you have Water consum?
Heating works...with hot air?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts