Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-v 5-speed AWD
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I have a 2000 CR-v Manual AWD and I was curious if the AT transfer case will bolt up to the MT transmission. I know there is a gearing difference, but I am looking into changing some things around to make it 1:1 front to back and the AT transfer cases are all alot cheaper than the MT ones (rarity reasons I presume)
Also curious what gear ratio's would be required to make it 1:1 front and back.

With the math listed below, would that mean that with a MT transfer case I would need a rear gear of around 3.0 to make it 1:1 and/or a 3.31 for the AT transfer case?

with the research I've done I have come up with this

1996-2001 honda cr-v gear ratios
1st- 3.500
2nd- 1.956
3rd- 1.344
4th- 1.071
5th- 0.812
final drive- 4.562
"Transfer- 0.434"
rear diff- 2.533

Transfer case ratios
MT .434
AT .393

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,060 Posts
If you got a 2001 could you fill out your profile with it (WINK)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a tad confused. I own a 2000 not a 2001. I put it in the title and the body. Or is this a nudge to complete something I failed to do? Please elaborate for my caffeine deficient brain :p

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I would leave it alone, unless it's a completely custom build and using a different rear differential. The dual pump system is counting on certain revolutions to engage and disengage properly, and changing the ratio of the transfer case might only confuse the system. The dual pump system is also not designed to be used full-time as it will overheat. It's there only to assist with some added rear traction in slippery conditions.

Maybe if you look at a Honda parts site and see if there are interchangeable parts. But from looking, the housings have a slightly different shape and an interior shaft may be a different length.

Auto:

Manual:

Reactions: Gopher663

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would leave it alone, unless it's a completely custom build and using a different rear differential. The dual pump system is counting on certain revolutions to engage and disengage properly, and changing the ratio of the transfer case might only confuse the system. The dual pump system is also not designed to be used full-time as it will overheat. It's there only to assist with some added rear traction in slippery conditions.

Maybe if you look at a Honda parts site and see if there are interchangeable parts. But from looking, the housings have a slightly different shape and an interior shaft may be a different length.

Auto:

View attachment 141860

Manual:

View attachment 141861
Thanks! And your right. I'm about to put in the upgraded clutch packs as well as the DPQS kit and eventually the locker from Automotive Koncepts when its done + the porsche axles upgrade. But totally forgot about it needing that ratio difference to engange and disengage properly XD

Great info on the transfer case! Sucks its so expensive. Just going to have to keep my eyes peeled at a junkyard for one when it pops up (I really want a spare)

Edit : I forgot to mention the DPQS kit comes with a temp block off plugso it shouldnt be disengaging anymore due to temp. Running different fluid as well to compliment the performance clutch packs (all recommended from Automotive Koncepts) So im curious how all that will work now. But your right, I still probably dont want to 1:1 it even then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts