Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently this car ( 2000 Honda CRV w/210k mi) stalled and would not start again (hot or cold). There is no spark. #9 ignition fuse is ok . No CEL codes. Fuel pump runs a few secs. I wanted to pull the dist rotor to check the coil and igniter (icm) but the screw head is stripped. Before I deal with that, could simply I check the ignition / cps at the gray 8 pin connector at the distributor? All that I can find on the web so far is that the black and yellow wire is the power in to the distributor. All I'm really trying to find out is whether the problem is the distributor is bad (vs which component inside - igniter, coil, hall effect sensor, etc) as aftermarket distributors for this car are relative inexpensive. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You are on the right track. Do you see any residue like Rust colour inside the cap? Usually the Igniter or ICM goes bad on this Gen. Take out the distributor from the head but be sure you mark where distributor is lined up to the head you can use a whiteout to place it back originally. See if it turns smooth without any binding. Be wary of getting an Aftermarket Assembly of the Dizy as I have seen them go bad after a month of use. I would get A Used JDM or a Salvage OE unit or just change the ICM & Coil if the bearing inside is still good. When you turn the engine over & no spark did you tried to take out the spark plug & smell if it has fuel? Let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the distributor. I got the rotor screw loose with 3/8 drive phillips bit and remove the rotor and dust cover. Additional testing using some procedures found at Honda-tech dot com point to a bad igniter . Anyway, since the seal appeared to be weeping too, installing the new aftermarket distributor makes sense to me.

Although I have made match marks before removing the distributor and plan to measure and transfer them to the new distributor, I want of check the timing with timing light (still own one !) . However, from what I have found , this requires shorting service connector terminals (see info for a Civic - http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic...nector-2549755/ ) However I cannot seem to find the the ign timing service connector for my car (1997-2001 Gen 1 CRV ). Unfortunately, the best web forum that I have used in the past for working on this vehicle - www.hondasuv dot com seems to be gone.

Following up- I received the $60 china distributor purchased via fleabay vendor and installed it using the match marks that made with the old one . The vehicle started right up and ran fine. I checked the timing with a timing light and found that it was too advanced so it had to be adjusted. I just hope that the new distributor lasts.

BTW- the ignition service connector was located below the OBD2 test port on the passenger side of the center console.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Just be wary of those China Brand New Dizzy. If you start getting a no start or Hard to start it could be a bad Igniter. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts