Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little about the problem, the AC was not working when I had bought the car and I found the original AC Compressor was blown (exploded and seized).
I took out the lines and flushed everything out. Replaced the evap, expansion valve, condensor, compressor and drier.
Replacement compressor wasn't getting cold. Clutch was engaging but wasn't getting cold. Pressure wasn't high enough in the hot side.
Returned compressor and installed another replacement. Now the subject in the title stated is the issue.

Note: hi/low pressure switch was not replaced at the drier.

Troubleshooting:
Checked fuses at the engine compartment and under the dash.
Verified for voltages.
  • Missing voltage at the AC/Clutch connector.
  • Missing voltage at the Hi/Low pressure switch pin 2.
  • Missing voltage at the AC/Clutch relay pin 3. (Believe its a ground.)
  • Voltage is correct at the Condensor fan relay. Jumped pin 1 and 2, fan does engage. Also checked if both AC and Radiator fan engages when temps get to operating temps.
  • Jumped pin 1 and 2 on the AC/Clutch relay, compressor does engage and get cold.
Per schematics that I've found, I am suppose to be recieving voltage at pin 3 at the AC/Clutch relay which comes from the powertrain module. Its an ACC voltage. Unsure where thats located.

Please assist. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:
Learned the Powertrain module is the ecu.
Jumped the hi/low pressure switch and clutch does not engage.
Switched relay around with blower motor to ac clutch/condenser vice versa. No results.

Honestly lost at this point.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Some systems have constant power to devices and switch the ground to operate them. Some systems have constant ground and apply switched power to operate them.
So third compressor?? Very unusual there alone.
What was ‘blown’ on first compressor? Second energized , only wasn’t cold enough. Third not energizing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some systems have constant power to devices and switch the ground to operate them. Some systems have constant ground and apply switched power to operate them.
So third compressor?? Very unusual there alone.
What was ‘blown’ on first compressor? Second energized , only wasn’t cold enough. Third not energizing.
Blown meaning it blew a hole in it. Seized up. That explains why I went and cleaned all the lines and replaced majority every part.

Update:
I went to the climate controls and pined out the black connector. If I jump the red/blue and blue/white wires. The clutch engages, fan engages and gets cold.

The switches for the Circulating Air, AC, and defrost are on a daughter board. Pressing the AC button and measuring the contact points shows it’s working and tracing it all the way to the main board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:
Traced main board for the blue/white 5 voltage. Soldered resistor dead.

Replaced with a junkyard replacement. Fixed
I’m at the same spot, not getting switched ground to the relay. Not sure which board/module you found the problem on and replaced. Which unit was it, one of the ones behind the right kick panel or a heater/AC module (not sure at this point where that is)? This is my daughter’s 98 CRV that she got a few years ago and AC never worked. I just jumped the compressor clutch +12v red wire to turn it on and we get cold air, so I’m at your point but not sure which module to swap out to see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts