Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to change my trans fluid, but have questions beforehand.

Looked at the fluid today, it's a somewhat light brown color. From what it looks like on the paper towel I wiped it on, it doesn't seem to have any debris in it, although I know that's not the best indication. Doesn't smell burnt to me although I'm going to get a 2nd opinion on that. Going off of that, it should probably be safe to do it right? I know the whole procedure about doing it once, driving it for a bit, then repeating that a couple more times, and it's not going to be something that I'd get done all at once because money is unfortunately an issue.

As for the fluid itself, I know the owners manual says "Certified Honda ATF only", but from what I've seen people say, the Valvoline Dex/Merc works too right? I ask because again, money is an issue and the Valvoline is definitely cheaper than the Honda stuff.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have used the Valvoline stuff in mine at least twice so far. It is still running.

You only have to change it once. The change it 3 times thing is only for if you are having issues. If everything is running fine just change it once. If you are just trying to replace as much as possible maybe spread it out to 1 change every oil change for the next 2 or 3.

One gallon will be enough. You will use about 3.5 - 4 quarts depending on how it is setting.

I had to remove the airbox to fill mine, but you can use a really long funnel or a hose too. Be sure the hose doesn't fall in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts