Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my CRV for about 3 years now, and after checking the trans fluid, found it needs replacing. I've never done it before and have some questions

1. How much goes in? I've checked the manual and have looked around on here and the web but haven't really found a straight answer
2. For the flushing procedure, would it hurt if I was to do the flushing procedure over a period of 2-3 weeks since money is an issue?
3. Can I find the Honda ATF at a store like Autozone or O'Reillys?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also have one more question:

I've seen around that the Z1 fluid is no longer being manufactured. If that's true, will the DW1 effect the transmission in any way since it's an older model?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Honda Z-1 was a disaster on the Odyessys' automatic transmission longevity, and still many said to ONLY use it because Honda knows best. Turned out they were way wrong!

It takes aprox 3.5 qts for one drain and fill.
Driving two to three wks between drains and fills, is usually fine and recommended, unless the fluid is black or worse. :eek:
If your atf looks like it needed to be replaced, you should do at least 3 drain and fills (with driving in between changes with Honda DW-1 or Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf or another compatible synthetic atf) or perhaps 4. The Valvoline stuff can be purchased at places like WalMart for under $18/gal jug. So, 3 jugs (under $60) will let you do at least 3.
There are several write-ups in these forums and on youtube on how to do the drains and fills. You do not have to even jack up the CRV.

Yes, you may notice a difference using DW-1 instead of the old Z-1, but only for the better.
Remember to check the atf level properly and that it is between the two indicators, or even with the top mark.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have used the Valvoline stuff in my 2000 and so far so good. I did one change about 1.5 years ago and another a couple months ago. One gallon is enough for a single change. In my case I have always removed the air filter housing so I can get to the fill hole. None of my funnels are long enough and I never think to use a hose. Also, there was a post on here a month ago from someone who had the extra hose fall off the end of their funnel and fall into the trans while filling it.

Regular parts stores don't sell Honda brand fluid, but they do sell the Valvoline for about $20 per gallon vs Walmarts $18.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread. We just bought a used 2008 CRV and the owners manual states to check the ATF level, you park on level area (with engine at operating temp), turn off engine & check dip stick within 60 seconds. Is Honda different than say a Chevy ? You have to have a Chevy warm & running to check the ATF level.
Oh, it also says always use ATF-Z1. So now I'm finding out to NOT use Z1....:confused:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The owner's manual is correct on how to check the atf level. Many other car brands check it with the engine running, as you mentioned, but not the Honda. Reason is that the Honda AT is totally different than most other brands. AFAIK
Honda replaced its Z-1 atf with their Honda DW-1 and it says to use it instead of Z-1.
The DW-1 is synthetic, as is the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf and others. I have not read any bad things about the DW-1.
The Z-1 is not made anymore and it was not a synthetic and I doubt you could even buy it. If you get a chance to buy some Z-1, don't. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Buffalo4. Learned 2 more things on just this one thread.....well, 3 really, drain/refill...drive for a few days....repeat a couple more times. But I'm still trying to figure out how you do it without jacking it up.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks Buffalo4. Learned 2 more things on just this one thread.....well, 3 really, drain/refill...drive for a few days....repeat a couple more times. But I'm still trying to figure out how you do it without jacking it up.
2000 drain plug is easy to get to. I think the newer models are a little lower so harder to get your arm under.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll double check it tomorrow when I get time, but I believe my fluid is brown. Didn't seem to have a burnt smell(again, going to recheck tomorrow). Since(or somewhat rather, 'if') that is the case, would I be able to wait a little bit longer to do the next change? Say if I changed it the first of November, and didn't change it again until mid-late December. Would that defeat the purpose or would that be somewhat better? Only reason I'm asking is with Christmas coming up I'm trying to save as much money as I possibly can

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The general idea is the mix the fluid up between changes so you don't simply end up draining the new fluid right back out. The longer you drive it between changes the better it will be mixed.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Use the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf and you can buy two 1gallon jugs (8qts) for around $35 at a Walmart.
Or buy 4 qts of DW-1 for around the same price.
That shouldn't break the bank for you.
But, OTOH, doing just one drain and fill will refresh the additives and waiting a month with normal driving distance for the second change shouldn't hurt anything.
Just make sure you know how you are going to add the new fluid BEFORE you drain it out. if you use the filler plug, try breaking it loose first as sometimes they are really tight. You may have to buy a funnel, etc.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
There should be no fill plug, You just fill through the dipstick. Also, be sure to clean the drain plug, the end has a magnet on it.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There is a fill plug on the 2000 CRV. I remember doing 4 drain and fills on my roommate's 2000 and one time, the plastic tube I had on the bottom of the funnel fell off and into the hole. Fortunately, it was still sticking up about a 1/2 " above the bottom of the threads. Whew!!!
No good deed goes unpunished , was what I was thinking. :)
On my 2003 Ody, I use the dipstick tube with a black funnel from WalMart that fits tightly over the tube all by itself. Some say filling through the dipstick tube is painfully slow, but with that funnel, it is just fine, probably because it fits over the 'outside' of the tube.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hmm, that is weird. I have a 2000 and have changed the fluid a few times. I always fill it through the hole where the orange dipstick is. It is buried down deep and easier to get to and see with the air filter box removed. Suppose I have never looked for a plug to unscrew.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It was yrs ago when I did it and perhaps I did fill it through the dipstick tube, which, I believe is much bigger in diameter thatn the one on my ODY. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Shryp,
Does the atf dipstick have a wide rubber gasket/grommet on it and does it actually go into the case, rather than a dipstick tube?
Perhaps that is what I remembered about the plastic tube falling into the hole and almost disappearing.
That would not have been good.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Shryp,
Does the atf dipstick have a wide rubber gasket/grommet on it and does it actually go into the case, rather than a dipstick tube?
Perhaps that is what I remembered about the plastic tube falling into the hole and almost disappearing.
That would not have been good.
Buffalo4
Yes. Also, you aren't the only one to drop a hose down there. Someone else had one of those funnels that comes with the extension tube on the end and after they put everything back together noticed that extension tube missing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update, I'm probably going to go with the Valvoline since at my Walmart it's only about $16 and some change. When I checked the fluid the 2nd time, it did seem to have a somewhat burnt smell to it, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the age of the fluid. It's only brown and the trans itself seems to be fine. It doesn't seem to have a major problem from what I'm able to tell.

And to Buffalo4, don't worry, I dropped the dipstick when I was putting it back in. It unfortunately fell on something on the car itself so I had to jack it up to get under it to get it out. That was a painfully long 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. I kinda wish they designed it so the dipstick was just a bit higher up. Or just not under a bunch of stuff(yes I'm too lazy to take other things out). Reminds me of when I put in my aftermarket radio having to take off all of the panels on the front of the dash. I wish these cars were a little bit more simple when it came to that kind of stuff.

But I'd like to thank everybody here again for all of the helpful replies. I'll probably update again later on once I actually get this changed if anybody really cares haha. I plan to change it on Monday.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Congrats on finding the dipstick.
Now that you know where to add the fluid and hopefully have a funnel, you will see how easy it is to change.
Sometimes the drain plug is super tight, so just make sure you are turning it in the correct direction.
After that, if you don't spill a lot of atf on the ground/pavement :eek: , the hardest part is adding the new fluid after you reinstall the drain plug and that is pretty easy.
Should go real well. If you do more than one drain and fill, drive it for a day or longer between them to get the new fluid mixed up well.
Buffalo4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts