Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 cr-v se that is getting some much needed love. It has been properly maintained throughout its 320,000 miles of existence. I purchased it about 40,000 miles ago with a bad transmission for 400 bones. I am a mechanic by trade so I had to get it. At the time of purchase I could see many new parts, including coilovers and tires. So i knew it was worth it right there. Then when they showed me the stack of service receipts from the honda dealer, i just said i'd take it. This vehicle had been perfectly maintained, but the auto trans going out was enough for them to let it go.

So i got a transmission from the salvage yard for 250, went ahead and did timing belt kit and cam seals as well. One of the springs broke on the monroe oe spectrum coilovers a few months ago and I have some covid spare time. So the rabbit hole has been opened.

In the past few months i have replaced all 4 coilovers with an "autoshack" brand set from amazon. Yes. Someone is selling on amazon under autoshack and it's not autozone lol. Anyway with the monroe oe spectrums crapping out within a couple years, i figured, why not try these. Following is a list of everything replaced in the last few months leading up to now.

"Loaded struts"-Coilovers all around
Swaybar endlinks-front and rear
Rear toe arms/compensator arms
Trailing arm bushings
Rear adjustable upper control arms
Rear left lower control arm
Front adjustable upper control arms
Right front cv shaft
Honda pcv valve
Wix fuel filter
Air filter
NGK spark plugs
NGK spark plug wires
Good lifetime warranty cap and rotor
All 5 engine/trans mounts

The adjustable arms are truhart. I also ordered rear 2 or 2.5 spacers from honda rescue garage. I'll have to check exactly what i have. I highly recommend hrg. Due to welds on spacers you will need factory top hat nuts to clear the beads. The factory nuts have a small head. Aftermarket coilovers do not. Ask me how i know.
Also, over the course of driving since i got the vehicle I have replaced the alternator, all belts, a/c compressor, radiator, upper and lower hoses, honda thermostat, cam plug, and the battery.

So that leads us to now. What is currently in progress is full sound deadening. All interior is stripped. Kilmat 80 mil vibration damper. Multiple thicknesses of acoustic foams, tapes, rolls, insulation.... It has truly spiraled out of control. The only thing I didn't get is a mass loaded vinyl or luxury liner. Maybe later, but for some reason my out of control spending stopped there. Thank god. Also repairing some rear wheelwell rust, installing fender flares (hope they fit), oil pan gasket, all engine grounds, headlight restore, brake and turn light strip, cabin air filter, total exhaust change up or hacking then spending more money.... Building a custom center console/amp rack. Full audio setup install... Then I'll be finishing it off with another set of raised white letter 245/60R15 street tires. I still have to figure out what set of wheels i want for some more aggressive rubber.

I will update this as i go. Some is in progress. Some is yet to be done.

Tons more pictures and details coming. Look at this screwdriver i found in the tool room. It's fate...

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-v 5-speed AWD
78 Posts
so I couldnt help but notice your giant miller high life bottle in the corner....

Funny story... I also happen to be a happy CR-v owner (currently restoring/lifting/modding it down the rabbit hole)

Used to have a bunch of nasty popcorn in it but kept it for change :ROFLMAO:

All that aside, welcome to the forum! Glad to see another high mileage CR-v getting refreshed!

·
Registered
2017 Civic EX Sedan, 2020 CR-V Touring
70 Posts
Nice! Our first new car purchase was a 2000 CR-V EX AWD. I loved that old rig and would love to have one again as a toy. Glad to see someone is treating one to a nice cleanup and repair!

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mild ocd and sound deadening a vehicle can turn into quite the time consuming task. I'm doing the inside of all the interior panels along with the vehicle itself.

Some gauge cluster overlays. Hope they look good.

Center console coming along nicely. It is the perfect height. Made the armrest out of thick memory foam. I flipped it upside down and stood on it to smash the foam while i wrapped vinyl around it. Turned out pretty good i think. I angled driver side of console to clear e brake handle and to be larger at top of console. It is bolted down where the center cupholder/flip tray mounted. I did design it to replace driver side armrest, so that was removed from driver seat.

Gutter guard from home depot. 3.50 for good metal mesh for a grill or anything.

I'm going to sandwich a thin piece of board or plastic under the lid to cover all staples.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mild ocd and sound deadening a vehicle can turn into quite the time consuming task. I'm doing the inside of all the interior panels along with the vehicle itself.

Some gauge cluster overlays. Hope they look good.
View attachment 142128

Center console coming along nicely. It is the perfect height. Made the armrest out of thick memory foam. I flipped it upside down and stood on it to smash the foam while i wrapped vinyl around it. Turned out pretty good i think. I angled driver side of console to clear e brake handle and to be larger at top of console. It is bolted down where the center cupholder/flip tray mounted. I did design it to replace driver side armrest, so that was removed from driver seat.

Gutter guard from home depot. 3.50 for good metal mesh for a grill or anything.

I'm going to sandwich a thin piece of board or plastic under the lid to cover all staples.
Let me know how those gauge cluster overlays look! If they look alright I would be interested in getting a set to change mine over. Looking good man! Cant wait to see it all put together.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roof is vibration dampened. Go tap on the roof of your crv. It's like a cymbal! There was a little bit of factory butyl damper, but it doesn't appear to have been applied correctly. It did ok for 20 years i suppose.... Now it has company

"Fixing" rear fender/wheelwell rust. I use that term very loosely. I also have a hole to patch in the front of the left rear wheelwell. I noticed it when i replaced the toe/compensator arms. Had to cut one of those bolts out. Classic honda bushing wanting to spin with bolt.

Anyway this is by no means professional. I'm a mechanic, not a bodyman. But I cut out all rust, which left a gap between fender and wheelwell. I'm using polyester fabric and polyester resin. So i think the crv is now part boat. But it will keep water out. I'll sand it down and bondo glass over top and paint. Won't be perfect but i have flares I'm putting on. Just wanted to protect what is left. Can always fix it right later....

Plus it will give me something to screw rear bumper to, because where it screwed into is no more.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cabin air filter replaced with an activated charcoal one. I also put some new seals around cabin air and vacuumed out cavity where filter sits in blower box. Good place to spray some lysol. Looked kind of alive in there.

I put the gauge overlays on. I have alot to say about installing these. I will go more in depth at some point with more pictures and explanations of the complete headache they were to install. Holes didn't line up. Had to trim, needles have to come off. No getting around it. I broke the tach needle after trying to remove it after holes didn't line up. Had to superglue it. Much more. But look at this. Inside the cluster there is some japanese art. Was a very cool surprise. I love Hondas.

The ashtray has a light that is powered up by headlight switch. Since i removed ashtray this was a perfect place to power the gauge overlays. I even kept the plug so i can disconnect them easily. Cigarette lighter got replaced with a dual usb port with voltmeter and the bass knob and gauge color select/ brightness knob are there. This panel will be getting some more work. Some trim made.

That's all for now. Pulled an all nighter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Guage cluster looks AWESOME. Might have to look into getting a set myself to refresh the interior a bit. Got a link?

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks, I think they turned out well. These crvs oddly have lights that shine down on the face of the gauges. I replaced those with red led bulbs. It doesn't show up in pictures but whatever looks white on the gauges is lit in blue or green. Those white parts are white during the day. I ordered them of of ebay, but beware you will definitely have to trim them and then set all gauge needles. The gauge faces are also different for automatic or manual. I bought the automatic ones. Maybe for the manual the holes will line up without trimming.
These are the set i ordered. Type R Red Glow 97-01 Honda CRV CR-V JDM Auto AT Gauge Face Overlay New | eBay

I do not see a listing for that type in a manual transmission. But the only difference i see is the cutout for the shift indicator between the coolant gauge and fuel gauge. So other than that i assume they would work. I am not sure if that link is working. If you search on ebay for 2001 crv gauge overlays, they are 34.95. Bid4speedster is the seller

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cleaned up rear wheelwells.

Sound deadening inside is done except for doors. Starting on back doors.

Center console is done. I think I am going to remake armrest. I intended for it to be wider than the console itself, but it's a little too wide at the back where it touches seats. No big deal though.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm happy with this for the back doors.

Lubricating window channels with dry Teflon lube. Lubricating regulator tracks with white lithium.

I tied into factory trailer harness with the curt adapter for a rear light bar. I should mention that I am not hacking anything on any of the electrical stuff I am doing. Everything is serviceable and removable to factory.

Had to make a hole behind rear bumper a little bigger. Have to seal it up well.

I'm liking how it turned out.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mild? lol jk I had to.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Haha, well you know, if you're gonna go so far, may as well go all the way. I don't ever plan on selling this vehicle. I want to drive it forever. Plus I've always wanted to do this, but never had a vehicle that I knew I would never sell. I can tell you the sound deadening is making a pretty big difference.. the car just feels more solid. Hope you guys are enjoying the build as much as I am. Starting to come together. I appreciate the feedback. Good or bad lol

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
520 Posts
I feel you. I have wanted a 1st get for as long as I can remember. I could have bought many other ones in the past but none were how I wanted it to be. When this one came along for the price and the low miles I couldn't resist. I even have a spare motor (29k) and trans with a new clutch ready to go. I think I'm going to to an ls 5th gear swap on this extra tranny next though. Im not much into audio but I'm sure something will be on my list sooner or later. All I know is I want to be able to jump in at a moments notice and drive across the county if I feel like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel you. I have wanted a 1st get for as long as I can remember. I could have bought many other ones in the past but none were how I wanted it to be. When this one came along for the price and the low miles I couldn't resist. I even have a spare motor (29k) and trans with a new clutch ready to go. I think I'm going to to an ls 5th gear swap on this extra tranny next though. Im not much into audio but I'm sure something will be on my list sooner or later. All I know is I want to be able to jump in at a moments notice and drive across the county if I feel like it.

quick question, not meaning to hijack the thread, but what the deal with the 5th gear swap? Is it a taller or shorter gear?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts