Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a coolant leak on the back of my engine, just above the alternator. I had the old radiator crack just the other day, (near lower hose) and I knew a simple jb weld would only hold so long. So I installed a new rad. and while I was at it, figured I change a few hoses too. I changed the upper hose and ordered the lower hose as it was not available yet. I also replaced the heater bypass hose. However the store I went to didn’t have the strange curved hose as a direct replacement so I managed with an L shaped one instead.
Does that matter??

Also, as titled, when I completed that whole process, I started it up and a new leak occurred as stated, where it has never leaked coolant before. The coolant was clear and not dirty and I went back to check the rad cap today and oil cap for the “milk” which people have stated is a sign that the head gasket may have cracked. My mechanic did mention that it would need to be done eventually and I want to keep it and even have the pack ready for that process. I think I may have done “too good” of a job and I messed up the system’s pressure by changing the hose and rad suddenly.

Can someone please give me a hand here as to what could be leaking? Or is there any other troubleshooting I can do to diagnose this? Thanks

-Kevin

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
624 Posts
Are you running just water in the cooling system instead of antifreeze/ coolant?

You need to pinpoint where exactly the leak is located.
If it is leaking between the block and the head, then its time to replace head gasket.
There is a slight chance its the water pump. But without a picture or a specific location ... it's just a guess.
Make sure that hose is not kinked, if it is the engine will overheat.

Gl

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
295 Posts
You will probably need a mirror to see behind the alternator. Running along the backside of the engine, under the intake, is a water pipe. It runs from behind the water pump to the thermostat housing. It has an o ring on both ends. See if it is leaking there.

If it is dripping underneath the crank pulley, that is usually the water pump leaking. You may be able to rent a cooling system pressure tester. Or look at it when the system is pressurized and you can usually see leaks more clearly.

As newtome said, make sure the hose isn't kinked. There is a difference in the bypass hose for an automatic or manual. They are usually in stock at most part stores. If the hose is kinked, which it probably is, get the right hose. This one is for an automatic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you running just water in the cooling system instead of antifreeze/ coolant?

If it is leaking between the block and the head, then its time to replace head gasket.
There is a slight chance its the water pump. But without a picture or a specific location ... it's just a guess.

Gl

Gl
Here’s what else I found out. I misspoke about the bypass heater hose. That I replaced with the correct hose. The hose pictured below is the one I swapped out for an L shaped one. (I believe its from the engine to the heater core. The hose next to where the upper hose attached to the engine.) Anyways, it’s still leaking - but only when the car is on. I didn’t get a pressure tester yet but will try soon. Could it be just a seal and not the whole head gasket? And do I need to just open the thing up and peek around that way? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
624 Posts
Yes that heater hose is not going to kink.

Over the area by the alt. There is the pipe that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing. Take a good look.
There is a big O ring that seals the pipe at the block and end of pipe. Hopefully its just that O ring going bad.
As long as the leak is not coming out between the head and engine block there is not need to remove the engine head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts